Discussion Forum

Multiple blockers

So i've been told that multiple monsters can block a big attacker at the same time for some reason and I've been wondering how it works, and also why.

Is it just 2/2 and 3/3 blocks a 5/5 and they all die so the defender can get rid of a big monster? Does the attacker decide where the damage goes? If so, and he decided to do all 5 damage to the 3/3, what happens to the 2/2. Does it just sit there tapped or does it do some damage somewhere? How many monsters can block one creature?

Also, on an unrelated note, is it true you can sacrifice a creature at any time for no reason at all? For example, if an enemy puts an enchantment or something on my creature that does something like "Take 3 damage when enchanted creature is tapped, enchanted creature attacks each turn if able", can I just sacrifice the creature and be done with it?
Posted 10 January 2011 at 09:53

[QUOTE=Lord_Azael]So i've been told that multiple monsters can block a big attacker at the same time for some reason and I've been wondering how it works, and also why.[/quote]

Why:

509. Declare Blockers Step
509.1a The defending player chooses which creatures that he or she controls, if any, will block. The chosen creatures must be untapped. For each of the chosen creatures, the defending player chooses one creature for it to block that’s attacking him, her, or a planeswalker he or she controls.

Note that there is no restriction on which creature the defending player's creature can block. There may be evasion abilities (like flying) or other abilities (like that of Familiar Ground) that limit this choice, but there is nothing in the rules to prevent a creature from blocking an attacker that another creature is already blocking.

How:

510. Combat Damage Step
510.1a Each attacking creature and each blocking creature assigns combat damage equal to its power. ...
510.1c A blocked creature assigns its combat damage to the creatures blocking it. ...

[QUOTE]Is it just 2/2 and 3/3 blocks a 5/5 and they all die so the defender can get rid of a big monster?[/QUOTE]

Typically, yes. The 2/2 will assign 2 damage to the 5/5 and the 3/3 will assign 3 damage to the 5/5. When combat damage is dealt, the 5/5 will have 5 total damage on it and be destroyed.

[QUOTE] Does the attacker decide where the damage goes?[/QUOTE]

Yes.

510.1c A blocked creature assigns its combat damage to the creatures blocking it. ... If two or more creatures are blocking it, it assigns its combat damage to those creatures according to the damage assignment order announced for it. This may allow the blocked creature to divide its combat damage. ...

In the case in question, the most likely decision the attacking player will make is to assign 2 of the 5/5's damage to the 2/2, and 3 to the 3/3, which would end up destroying both blockers.

[QUOTE]If so, and he decided to do all 5 damage to the 3/3, what happens to the 2/2. Does it just sit there tapped or does it do some damage somewhere?[/QUOTE]

In that case the 2/2 sits there undamaged, since all of the 5/5's damage is going to the 3/3. That would not generally be good decision on the part of the attacking player because the extra 2 damage would go to waste.

An attacking player might decide to do that if, for example, he knew the defending player could give one of the blockers +2/+2 (like if the defending player had a Deepwood Drummer at the ready). That way, the 3/3 would die even if pumped up, because it has a full 5 damage coming at it.

[QUOTE]How many monsters can block one creature?[/QUOTE]

There is no upper limit. If the defending player had 10,000 untapped creatures, he could block one attacker with all of them.

[QUOTE]Also, on an unrelated note, is it true you can sacrifice a creature at any time for no reason at all?[/QUOTE]

No. Permanents stay on the battlefield until and unless some effect or rule removes them.

110.1. A permanent is a card or token on the battlefield. A permanent remains on the battlefield indefinitely. ...

[quote]For example, if an enemy puts an enchantment or something on my creature that does something like "Take 3 damage when enchanted creature is tapped, enchanted creature attacks each turn if able", can I just sacrifice the creature and be done with it?[/QUOTE]

No. If you want to sacrifice it you need something like Innocent Blood or Phyrexian Vault.

(Comprehensive Rules link)
Posted 10 January 2011 at 11:24