Discussion Forum

When did you first start?

Just like the title says. I started playing MtG shortly after Tempest was released when a friend of mine was looking for something new to be addicted to. I've taken a break after the Invasion block but have recently started picking MtG back up and teaching my oldest son how to play.

http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=134057
Posted 11 January 2011 at 20:48

summer of 94, right around when The Dark came out, stopped and sold off my cards after Ice Age.

got back into it 10 years later just before Kamigawa was released...stopped again after a year but this time kept all my cards.

and been playing again since Shadowmoor/Eventide..making this the longest of my 3 stretches =)

damn i wish i hadn't sold off all my older cards
Posted 11 January 2011 at 21:24

I'm a total newbie compared to everyone here as my first intro to mtg was in 2008 were I learned the rules and only played with borrowed decks and had no clue about what a set or a block was. I did however discover my all time favorite card Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind

I didn't see the game again for 2 years around 2010 that I really got into it again
Posted 11 January 2011 at 22:12

I actually started the week Rise of the Eldrazi came out.
My first deck was born out of the assemble the doomsday machine archenemy pack, but thankfully, those days are behind me.
Posted 12 January 2011 at 09:23

must be around 1994, I stopped a few years later for a long time though and got back into it about 5-6 years back.
Posted 12 January 2011 at 09:30

I started sometime around mirrodin i think, not sure exactly because i thought i was to cool for the game and didn't learn to much about it. But then i got over myself and realized that only cool people play magic around the time that shards was out
Posted 12 January 2011 at 22:10

wow nice to see a few "old school" players around still.

I started around 94-95 also... stopped after Homelands (who wouldnt)... Sold a whole bunch of cards to support another hobby that never lasted long... and restarted agian at Rise of Eldrazi when I saw a few co-workers playing during lunch.

Powercreep :rolleyes:
Posted 12 January 2011 at 23:40

I started playing around Onslaught, my first deck was the G/R deck from the 7th edition starter pack. Stopped playing after the first Kamigawa set and started back up during Rise of the Eldrazi.
Posted 13 January 2011 at 16:59

I first played Magic the same weekend I got the N64 pre-release. I remember it very fondly -- was a weekend-long serotonin rush, between playing Mario 64 two weeks before anybody else (which btw, was one of the best games of its time) and being gifted some 3k cards from my brother, from Arabian Nights though Exodus. In hindsight, I realize most of the cards were commons and uncommons in multiple play-sets. But that was still one of the most monolithic experiences of my life. To receive a box of cards twice the mass of my body, and I could do with them what I could never do with Legos (which I still own a collection equally epic to what I own in Magic). That is, not only build an entire world of my own, but also compete with it! Well... it was quite a.. Magical.. experience. And I've been hooked ever since!
Posted 13 January 2011 at 18:59

1994. Revised had just hit the stores. Stopped in 1997 and back since last year.
Posted 14 January 2011 at 03:15

Wow, we have some old players around here!

I started in 1995, when Fallen Empires was the newest set and Ice Age was right around the corner. I thought I could quit during Mirrodin block, and sold most of my cards. Of course I came back around Time Spiral block, and really missed my old collection. Magic: you can sell your cards anytime you want, but you can never leave!
Posted 20 January 2011 at 00:27

I started about 2 months before Scars of Mirrodin came out lol. Total nub ftw.
Posted 20 January 2011 at 06:40

I'm pretty new, came in when Shards of Alara came out.
Posted 22 January 2011 at 23:09

I started playing in late 1994, when I was all of 14 -- I loved Preacher from The Dark and was quite fond of the Elvish Farmer from Fallen Empires. I stopped playing in 1996 or so (got sucked into Vampire: the Masquerade, which was on the same night as the usual MTG game night), but if we skipped a week I would come back, meet new people, show them that White/Green didn't automatically mean pansy and girls could play well, and especially enjoyed sealed deck tournaments. Stopped playing completely when I went to college in 1997 and gave away my deck in 1999.

Hadn't really touched the cards at all until a few days ago when some friends were playing the game on their gaming console and I mentioned I used to play... they broke out their boxes of cards, we all built decks, and I fully expected to lose. I think I made a good showing -- won one game and wasn't the first one out in any of the others. :)

And now I found this site.. and I may be sucked back in. At least it's not so much like WoWCrack or as expensive as trying to make perfect SCA garb (although I do have a sewing machine and lots of fabric... hmmm...)
Posted 23 January 2011 at 08:13

The first cards I ever owned were from Scars of Mirrodin midnight release. I'm extremely new to the game... but I definitely enjoy playing it more than any other game I've picked up.
Posted 25 January 2011 at 06:50

I'm a super noob. My some friends of mine got myself and another friend started in the summer of 2010 before our second year of college. Now we all play on a regular basis.
Posted 27 January 2011 at 12:38

[QUOTE=Moriah]I started playing in late 1994, when I was all of 14 --

Hadn't really touched the cards at all until a few days ago when some friends were playing the game on their gaming console and I mentioned I used to play... they broke out their boxes of cards, we all built decks, and I fully expected to lose. I think I made a good showing -- won one game and wasn't the first one out in any of the others. :)[/QUOTE]

Ha! I did almost the same exact thing.

I started when Unlimited came out in 93/94, played up and through Ice Age. No one at my high school really played, so I stopped and sold my collection (which was dumb, in hindsight, since I didn't realize going to college with a bunch of other engineers would mean I'd find some players!)

I started up again in October when a buddy of mine who used to play competitively in the early 2000s started getting back into it because his daughter wanted to learn how to play. I forgot how much I loved playing.
Posted 28 January 2011 at 18:45

Started playing between Legends and the Dark, when you could still get packs of Legends and Antiquities and such, but at a premium. Quit shortly after Ice Age came out. Started playing again last year when I saw Jace TMS, and realized that a) I missed the game, and b) the game was interesting again. And probably c) I have too much damn free time on my hands. ;)
Posted 02 February 2011 at 05:43

I started playing about 2000, when my brother got a starter pack( Trained Orgg and Vizzerdrix). I actually started "playing" the game in 2002 with the Onslaught block. I started drafting and fell in love with that play style.
Take it easy cats,
Galidd576
Posted 10 February 2011 at 02:13

I started around Mirrodin I do not entirely sure, because I thought I was cool in the game and do not learn too much about it. But then I am more myself and realized that only cool people in the magical game time shards of glass have been.
Posted 18 February 2011 at 13:49

started back in Alpha/Beta, when i was 7 years old =)

had a long stretch where my friends stopped playing (while at university, mostly)... from Urza block onwards, only dipping in to sample mercadian masques and mirrodin.

kamigawa block was when my interest was piqued and i started looking at cards again. i found the kamigawa block in general to be terrible... but after that i was kind of interested.

roundabout ravnica time i started taking my cards with me on group holidays so me and my buddies could play. it caught on, and they all started playing again.

recently with the advent of M11, and zendikar block onwards, we've all been actually buying new cards again. it's a good feeling.

just last week, ripped 3x Inkmoth Nexuses (nexii?) and 4x phyrexian vatmother from a booster box with a friend. i was one happy bunny.

magic has been a big part of my life, one way or another. ultimately it's only a hobby, but unlike any other similar 'collectables' hobbies i had when i was a kid (pogs, anyone?), magic is the one that still excites me. it's got such depth and appeal that i'm still learning and improving, all these years on.
Posted 18 February 2011 at 19:46