Discussion Forum

Questions about Pyromancer Ascension Decks

I'm considering making one of the u/r pyromancer decks since they're cheap and seem like a great idea in theory. I had a few questions though before I went ahead and bought the cards.

First, how does it win exactly? The only burn cards I see are Lightning Bolt and Burst Lightning. I realize they get cast twice but it seems like a long shot to get enough of them to kill a player especially if they have life gain or you're using the bolts/bursts for creature destruction.

Second, do the effects of Pyromancer Ascension stack? And by that i mean if you have 2 pyromancers both with 2 quest counters on it, can I copy my instants/sorceries twice now?

Third, none of the decks have any creatures in them. I think, especially if pyromancers stack, that Kiln Fiend would be incredible in the deck. Maybe coupled with Plated Geopede, since almost all of these decks call for scalding tarns. Has anyone tried this?
Posted 13 January 2011 at 19:41

[QUOTE=stratutocastor]Second, do the effects of Pyromancer Ascension stack? And by that i mean if you have 2 pyromancers both with 2 quest counters on it, can I copy my instants/sorceries twice now?[/QUOTE]

Yes, they stack productively. When you cast an instant/sorcery spell, each quested-up Ascension you control will trigger and produce a copy of the spell.

(I don't know the answers to your other questions; you might try posting in the MTG Deck Development & Discussion forum)
Posted 13 January 2011 at 20:27

"First, how does it win exactly? The only burn cards I see are Lightning Bolt and Burst Lightning. I realize they get cast twice but it seems like a long shot to get enough of them to kill a player especially if they have life gain or you're using the bolts/bursts for creature destruction."

Well if you're U/R there are other spells that you can use. say for example you have an ascension out w/ 2 counters, and its the end of your opponents turn and you have 2 islands and 3 mountains untapped. you cast burst lightning at eot, kicked, dealing 8 damage (because of the ascension). at your turn you play a mountain (giving you 6 mana 2 islands and 4 mountain), bolt the opponent, dealing 6 damage, making 14 damage. then cast call to mind using 2 islands and a mountain, getting the bolt and the burst lightning (call to mind is copied). you still have 2 mountains untapped so use the bolt and the burst to deal 10 damage getting a total damage of 24. this is just one way of winning. the original deck consist of time warp (M10) getting infinite turns combo-ing with call to mind
Posted 14 January 2011 at 14:14

Wow this deck seems like forever ago!

might be interesting to see some recent designs on an old concept:

Stuffy Doll+furnace of Rath+Flame Slash
with pyromancer:1 mana, 36 damage O.O (Crushing Pain = 48 damage for 2 mana...)

Thunderous Wrath+twincasts/reverberates
miracle a Wrath, and twincast it. if pyromancer is up, its 20 damage for 3 mana

Charmbreaker Devils+Fling
...and you get your spells back!

Man this game has changed!
Posted 29 March 2013 at 22:19