Discussion Forum

[Bug] Hover card on Sample Draw obscured

Depending on the resolution and extra blank space, the hovering card ability, especially on the bottom row of cards (where you really need it), will cut off the card. This is because the hovering card starts at the top-left corner of the pointer (always), and the mouse pointer is so close to the bottom of the screen.

Sometimes going into full screen mode will "fix" it, but it depends on if there's enough screen space to handle it. On even decent widescreen laptop monitors, though, full screen mode doesn't fix it. And since there is no extra space on the HTML page, the browser will refuse to scroll down any further.

The solution would be to detect the space between the mouse pointer and the bottom of the screen and switch to a bottom-left corner model. Might as well tackle the horizontal edges, too, since it's the same type of code.

If I may also make a suggestion: ditch the overlib.js code for this and switch to using jQuery. The thousand lines of code in there could be replaced with about 20-50 lines of jQuery code. There may already be jQuery hover code available.

Also, if you need any help with this, I'll be willing to donate my services as a web programmer.
Posted 15 January 2011 at 17:29

I implemented the hover over on the wow site a long long time ago, before I really started using jQuery. Agree there is probably a better one in the jQuery framekwork, will have to take a look!

I assume you are using ad blocking to block the tower on the side? As if that's shown, there is no problem at all. Quick fix would be to make it appear upwards, rather than downwards, which I think is possible :p

Few other things we are working on at the mo, but will add this to the list :)

Cheers
Posted 15 January 2011 at 21:26

Ahhh, okay. Yes, turning off the AdBlock on that page partially fixes the problem. Still requires some scrolling, but at least it's usable. I'll do that; least I can do is cycle through some ads for your revenue.

Yeah, when I first discovered jQuery, I was blown away at the power of the language, and started converting some of my stuff to it. I hate coding in plain JavaScript any more.
Posted 16 January 2011 at 15:02

[QUOTE=SineSwiper]Yeah, when I first discovered jQuery, I was blown away at the power of the language, and started converting some of my stuff to it. I hate coding in plain JavaScript any more.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more, we've been playing around with it at work recently and there's some pretty cool stuff in there. Personally I've been playing around with things like the calendar controls and boy does it make life easier! :)
Posted 16 January 2011 at 19:04

I've got some ideas on a new deck drawing page. This time, I'll take a look at this one this weekend, and hopefully I can produce a fully-functional mock-up either then or early next week.

Looks like you're going to be busy this weekend, anyway :)
Posted 04 February 2011 at 13:25

Sounds good! :)
Posted 04 February 2011 at 15:06

Haha, still working on it, but I have something big planned, and it's turning out great. I'll post some more details when I tweak a few of the major features, and it get posted online to demo.
Posted 09 February 2011 at 13:00