Discussion Forum

IP Bans

Please? Pretty pretty please?
Posted 17 January 2011 at 22:40

I wonder who you want IP banned? ;)

Ian
Posted 17 January 2011 at 22:54

Unfortunately it would do nothing, I've had a never ending battle with morons like this on the site and I get the feeling I always will. I'm thinking it might be nice to have some sort of member-based banning system where certain "approved" members of the site will have the ability to pool together votes to knock decks of the homepage, but then again, how do I stop that one being abused... :P

*sigh*
Posted 17 January 2011 at 22:55

Why would it do nothing? I'm not arguing, I'm simply curious.

Also, something's gotta be done, or this guy is going to keep depriving people from actually enjoying this site. Someone's gotta bring out the Banhammer.

Lastly, I'm a little mixed on that last idea you had Gary. While some of it sounds nice, the threat of abuse to that extent is worrying. "Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely."
Posted 17 January 2011 at 23:09

Nevermind :D
Posted 17 January 2011 at 23:10

[QUOTE=surewhynot]Why would it do nothing? I'm not arguing, I'm simply curious.[/QUOTE]

People always find a way to come back, people who do things like this enjoy doing it, that's the only reason to do it. An IP ban isn't a permanent fix is what I meant by that.

[QUOTE=surewhynot]Lastly, I'm a little mixed on that last idea you had Gary. While some of it sounds nice, the threat of abuse to that extent is worrying. "Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely."[/QUOTE]

Heh, I see where that went... by "approved" I actually meant we built in a system so that once you, I dunno... hit X decks or X comments you gained the right to vote on removing decks from the top list. I think you thought I meant me giving rights to users manually, which after thinking about it is a MUCH better idea anyway, and maybe I should do this... :)
Posted 17 January 2011 at 23:16

This isn't a bad idea. I can think of two members I'd trust with this authority, given their participation and personalities displayed on the forums.

It would be much to the same effect as games and other websites employ the use of moderators. You cannot be everywhere at once, and the proliferation of authority is much easier to manage once a proper hierarchy is established.

Have each vote to remove a deck generate documentation to reduce the possibility of abuse, including the name of the moderator, name of the recipient deck owner, reason for the vote, and a text-capture of the deck's description, deck list, and sideboard as is at the time the vote was cast. Perhaps even a mass-mailing to other moderators when a vote is cast to spread awareness of the abuse.

Some sort of system to document who commented on a deck when a comment a deleted, would also help to alleviate top-deck cheating and trolling.

A lot of work abound, but I'd definitely be in support of a system like this.
Posted 17 January 2011 at 23:19

[QUOTE=SavajCabbaj]This isn't a bad idea. I can think of two members I'd trust with this authority, given their participation and personalities displayed on the forums.

It would be much to the same effect as games and other websites employ the use of moderators. You cannot be everywhere at once, and the proliferation of authority is much easier to manage once a proper hierarchy is established.

Have each vote to remove a deck generate documentation to reduce the possibility of abuse, including the name of the moderator, name of the recipient deck owner, reason for the vote, and a text-capture of the deck's description, deck list, and sideboard as is at the time the vote was cast. Perhaps even a mass-mailing to other moderators when a vote is cast to spread awareness of the abuse.

Some sort of system to document who commented on a deck when a comment a deleted, would also help to alleviate top-deck cheating and trolling.

A lot of work abound, but I'd definitely be in support of a system like this.[/QUOTE]

That right there, is a bona-fide damn good idea. :D
Posted 17 January 2011 at 23:24

I can certainly see a use for such a system, just need to weigh it up with the ever growing list of improvements we seem to be making! Thanks for your input guys, appreciate it! :)
Posted 17 January 2011 at 23:29