Discussion Forum

It's about time! (Tezzeret Revealed)

Finally! Tezzeret has been revealed!

What do you think about The Agent of Bolas?

Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas -- :mana2::manau::manab:

+1: Look at the top five cards of your library. You may reveal an artifact card from among them and put it into your hand. Put the rest of the cards on the bottom of your library in any order.

-1: Target artifact becomes a 5/5 artifact creature.

-4: Target player loses X life and you gain X life, where X is equal to twice the number of artifacts you control.

Loyalty = 3

Thoughts? I'm out of time myself, so I can't say much at the moment.. but with such a cheap ultimate, and beginning at only 1 loyalty counter away from triggering it.. There is enough "free" proliferation that it'd be entirely possible to use it on the turn he's cast. (Inexorable Tide + Memnite or Ornithopter, Thrummingbird, Throne of Geth). And what an ultimate, too!

Edit: Thank you for pointing out the typo, Seth.
Posted 18 January 2011 at 20:11

You mistyped his second ability. The artifact that becomes a 5/5, remains a 5/5 for the rest of the game.

His ultimate isn't very good, it's fun but not rellevant. His first 2 abilities are quite strong. I don't think he'll see much competitive play though, maybe in standard but that's it.
Posted 19 January 2011 at 07:44

not so sure about that, in a deck filled with 0-1 cc artifacts and trinket mages...it could get pretty devastating really quickly.
Posted 19 January 2011 at 16:16

I'm thouroughly unimpressed with the new Tezz. It seems like they directly downgraded his abilities from his previous incarnation -- an Impulse for artifacts rather than a tutor; an Animate Artifact rather than a March of Machines -- they both look less potent. Oh, and the new one can't untap Time Vault, which will prohibit his use in Vintage.
Posted 20 January 2011 at 00:22

[QUOTE=scumbling1]I'm thouroughly unimpressed with the new Tezz. It seems like they directly downgraded his abilities from his previous incarnation -- an Impulse for artifacts rather than a tutor; an Animate Artifact rather than a March of Machines -- they both look less potent. Oh, and the new one can't untap Time Vault, which will prohibit his use in Vintage.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I totally Agree

Then again, this is the level of power I like planeswalkers to offer. It's good but not game altering like the likes of Jace2.
I'm still amazed by how broken Jace2 is, I keep underestimating the card. I was playing my legacy tournament deck against my friends standstill a few days ago and with no other cards left in his hand he topdecks Jace, plays him and game over. I mean I had totally broken him, I had Dark Confident on the board. I was winning. 1 card to rule them all. Man I hate planeswalkers, so three cheers for the powerlevel of Tezz2. Maybe they were compensating for all the insane new infect creatures they printed.
Posted 20 January 2011 at 08:27

I think I disagree, but I'm on the fence between liking and disliking him. More on that later, though.

For now, a cracked out, fun little idea I had.

Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas, Tower of Calamities, Myr Welder, Phyresis

Use Tezzie to turn Tower of Calamities into a 5/5 artifact creature (or, imprint onto Myr Welder), then enchant the Tower (or Welder) with Phyresis. Effectively ":mana8:, :symtap:: Put 12 -1/-1 counters on target creature."

Certainly not game breaking, nor a prime example of what Tezzeret can offer.. but I definitely think it'd be fun :) (and not too combo-centric that the cards could already coexist within a deck)

Edit: And, I don't think his ultimate is bad at all. Don't underestimate it, it could be a game finisher for sure.
Posted 20 January 2011 at 23:23

Or you could just play avatar of woe, tap and kill. Yeah that would not destroy indestructible creatures but hey, it takes care of everything else, it costs 8 mana less and I just reduced a 3 card combo to 1 card that can be cast for as little as 2 mana.
Posted 20 January 2011 at 23:37

No doubt there are easier, more efficient methods (though I was thinking specifically of Cracksteel Colossus), but I also have a profound appreciation of absurd combo plays in casual games (see also, this deck).

Point was also, none of those cards need be mutually exclusive to the rest of the deck, more-so one of those "oh, how convenient, I can pull that off" sorts of things. I definitely wouldn't build a deck around it, just thought it'd be fun to consider actually happening.
Posted 21 January 2011 at 01:12