Discussion Forum

Myr Welder

Just had an idea that I thought might be fun to use with Myr Welder, and wanted to check with the experts to make sure it is legal.

My thought is that Myr Welder would make an excellent back-up card to replace some high-priority targets your opponents might try to remove. Myr Galvanizer as a perfect example.

But, what if Myr Welder imprints multiple cards, including Prototype Portal or Mimic Vat. Could the Myr Welder pay the activation cost of either of those two cards to put a token copy of another imprinted card onto the battlefield?
Posted 23 January 2011 at 02:38

No.

If a card has an ability that refers to "the exiled card" but does not itself exile anything (like the Welder's static ability or Prototype Portal's activated ability), then that ability is "linked" to another ability printed on the same card that does the exiling, and can refer only to cards exiled by that linked ability.

When the Welder acquires the Portal's activated ability, that ability won't be linked to the Welder's original ability. It will not recognize the cards the Welder exiles (including itself) as "the exiled card" that it can copy.

607. Linked Abilities

607.1. An object may have two abilities printed on it such that one of them causes actions to be taken or objects to be affected and the other one directly refers to those actions or objects. If so, these two abilities are linked: the second refers only to actions that were taken or objects that were affected by the first, and not by any other ability.
607.2a If an object has an activated or triggered ability printed on it that instructs a player to exile one or more cards and an ability printed on it that refers either to “the exiled cards” or to cards “exiled with [this object],” these abilities are linked. The second ability refers only to cards in the exile zone that were put there as a result of an instruction to exile them in the first ability.
Posted 23 January 2011 at 10:00

Aww :( That's a shame.

Thanks for the info! I've played casual / houserule for so many years, but I'm trying to play explicitly by the rules now... just sometimes I've no idea where to look :3
Posted 24 January 2011 at 06:09

I got another question, if i exile palladium myr with my welder and that welder dies, and if i cast another welder, woul it have the abilities of the exiled palladium myr?
Posted 27 January 2011 at 15:12

no, there's no connection between the new welder and the previously exiled card.
Posted 27 January 2011 at 16:07