Discussion Forum

Requirements for "New decks" on front page

I guess this is more of a question and suggestion.

I've noticed that I've built quite a few decks, but never seem to get any comments from them. Looking at the main page, there's all of the New Decks, and they all have comments on them. So, I would expect to at least have a few comments, based on that data.

Does that New Deck screen strictly rely on the deck start date? Because I don't build decks IRL and put the details here. I build decks here until I get the draws working right, and then build the deck for real with that schema. So, I may have a deck in Work in Progress for a while until I get it the way I want it. Then I set it to Finished Deck when I'm finally done.

If the New Decks screen is filtering on the start date, can you change it to a "Finished Date"? Is that recorded anywhere?
Posted 27 January 2011 at 23:21

You're correct, it is ordered by the creation date of the deck even if that date was a week before the deck was changed to "Finished Deck". This is a bit silly, maybe it should be changed so it's the date of the first time the deck is switched to finished... To answer your question, no the finished date is not currently recorded anywhere.
Posted 27 January 2011 at 23:31

It seems that there's a filter for Finished Deck for the searching and pages, too. I tried searching for my own decks that I was in the middle of building, and I didn't get anything. Even browsing the date-ordered pages on the main search didn't find it. I search for my username, and only get the Finished Decks.

So, unless you create the deck, put the details of the deck, and mark it as finished, like within a few hours, it's not going to show up on the New Decks section. I don't think I'll change my habits on how I build these decks here, but it kinda sucks that I don't get any feedback from them because of it.
Posted 28 January 2011 at 21:37

I noticed this too, and considered suggesting it.. never got around to it, I guess. I'll throw in my support here, then :)

New Decks should definitely be posted as of time of completion, not creation. It's a bit moot to display decks by order of creation, if they're not publicly viewable at the time.
Posted 28 January 2011 at 21:50

The amount of unfinished decks in the system is absolute NUTS. We'd have to put a checkbox or something to allow the choice of seeing only complete or not.

I will take a look at editing the stored procedure for new decks / add a "date finished" onto each deck, but got to sort this cheating stuff first!

Ian
Posted 28 January 2011 at 22:39

Yeah, more concerned about latter than the Work-In-Progress search. I don't think there's too much of a demand for searching unfinished decks, but the New Deck logic would be worth fixing.

But, yeah, security comes first. Good luck.
Posted 29 January 2011 at 02:13

No doubt ^-^ A community is always a work-in-progress, and certain projects take priority over others.

I'm not sure what purpose the checkbox would serve, though. I simply meant the criteria for the order of decks to appear on the "New Decks" list should not be the time of their creation, but when the deck status is changed to "Finished"

I think we mean the same thing, I just didn't understand what you meant :3

Cheers!

EDIT: Forgot a crucial four words -- "for the order of"
Posted 29 January 2011 at 02:13

I'm gonna have one busy weekend... I want to look at this as well :)

Ian
Posted 04 February 2011 at 09:49

Hello

I have done the following:

1) Your deck will update with a finished date the FIRST TIME you move it to finished. This is to stop people going from WIP --> FIN --> WIP --> FIN to get back on the homepage
2) New Decks on the homepage are ordered by the finished date now
3) Set all the finished decks, date finished to date created - otherwise the homepage would look a tad empty :p

That should fix that problem!

I haven't done anything to the deck search page, as I'm not sure it warrants it yet. Could always put a simple dropdown list on there I guess ;)

Cheers

Ian
Posted 04 February 2011 at 21:01

Awesome! Thanks Ian!

Good call on 1). Without reading up, I don't think any of us had considered that.. which would have definitely been abused otherwise!
Posted 04 February 2011 at 22:43

Heh, we discussed this one the other day; we're well versed in stopping cheating now (though we're not quite there yet it seems). :P
Posted 04 February 2011 at 23:37

Oh blast. I should have turned all of my decks to WIP beforehand :P (Just kidding!)
Posted 05 February 2011 at 04:55