Discussion Forum

Wall of Shadows and Trample

If I was attacking someone that has a Wall of Shadows out and I was using something with trample... say a 4/4 and I'm attacking a 0/1 Wall of Shadows, would all 4 of the damage get done to Wall of Shadows and therefore all the damage would be reduced to 0 or would only 1 of the damage go to the wall and the other 3 go to the defender, but since the 1 damage that goes to the wall get set back to 0 obviously the wall would still not die.
Posted 29 January 2011 at 23:47

I don't really know, but i would say that 3 damage spills over. If a creature blocks a trample creature, it can only have damage equal to its toughness assigned to it. However, if Wall of Shadows was being pumped by something (eg: Bad Moon) then more damage could be assigned to it.
Posted 30 January 2011 at 02:51

In the figurative situation it is just a 4/4 attacking a 0/1 Wall of Shadows.

But see if I was attacking someone with one of my 4/4 Lifelink creatures and they blocked it with a simple 1/1 I would recieve 4 HP not just 1 from the damage done to the 1/1's toughness.
Posted 30 January 2011 at 18:33

[QUOTE=Elvish_Avatar]would all 4 of the damage get done to Wall of Shadows and therefore all the damage would be reduced to 0 or would only 1 of the damage go to the wall and the other 3 go to the defender, but since the 1 damage that goes to the wall get set back to 0 obviously the wall would still not die.[/QUOTE]

It's up to the attacking player to decide how his trampler assigns its combat damage, but so long as he assigns at least 1 of it to the Wall, he can assign any or all of the rest of it to you.

Obviously, he's going to choose to assign 1 to the Wall (which will subsequently be prevented; the Wall will survive) and the other 3 to you.

He could, if he wanted, assign all 4 to the Wall, but since it would all be prevented, why would he want to?

702.17. Trample

702.17a Trample is a static ability that modifies the rules for assigning an attacking creature’s combat damage. ...

702.17b The controller of an attacking creature with trample first assigns damage to the creature(s) blocking it. Once all those blocking creatures are assigned lethal damage, any remaining damage is assigned as its controller chooses among those blocking creatures and the player or planeswalker the creature is attacking. When checking for assigned lethal damage, take into account damage already marked on the creature and damage from other creatures that’s being assigned during the same combat damage step, but not any abilities or effects that might change the amount of damage that’s actually dealt. The attacking creature’s controller need not assign lethal damage to all those blocking creatures but in that case can’t assign any damage to the player or planeswalker it’s attacking.
Example: A 6/6 green creature with trample is blocked by a 2/2 creature with protection from green. The attacking creature’s controller must assign at least 2 damage to the blocker, even though that damage will be prevented by the blocker’s protection ability. The attacking creature’s controller can divide the rest of the damage as he or she chooses between the blocking creature and the defending player.

(rules link)
Posted 31 January 2011 at 04:24