Discussion Forum

Glittering Wish

In sanctioned events, Glittering Wish looks for cards in your side-board, but otherwise (in casual settings) it looks for cards from anywhere outside of the game. Is there anything stopping me from building a deck with a full set of (for example) Maelstrom Archangel or Knight of New Alara, and using Glittering Wish to fetch four more, for a total of 8?
Posted 02 February 2011 at 15:28

wishes always work on sideboard, in casual play as well. you are never allowed to have more then 4 copies of a spell in your deck sideboard included.
I often use a 'wishboard' in my casual decks. Its never for sideboarding as we don't sideboard in casual play but we do stick to the rules when we use wishes.

this is very important if you decide to use multiple sets of wishes, for instance living wish and burning wish in the same deck. this means more pressure on the available 15 card sideboard slots.
Posted 02 February 2011 at 16:08

Seth: that's probably your group's house rule but the official ruling on the wishes is that in casual games you can grab any card from your collection:

[QUOTE]In a sanctioned event, a card that's "outside the game" is one that's in your sideboard. In an unsanctioned event, you may choose any card from your collection.[/QUOTE] - http://magiccards.info/query?q=wish+e%3Aju%2Fen&v=card&s=cname

Spawnsire of Ulamog has the same ruling as well.
Posted 02 February 2011 at 16:24

but yes, even if you go fetch cards from outside your deck, you can never have more than 4 copies of any card in your deck.

i believe this works as a state base check, if at any point your deck isn't legal(ie: has 5 copies of any card) then you forfeit the game immediately.
Posted 02 February 2011 at 16:28

that's pretty broken. sounds like something for groups who play 4x proxied Black Lotus and the likes.
Posted 02 February 2011 at 16:28

yup, it's definitely not a good mechanic.
Posted 02 February 2011 at 16:31

[QUOTE=Seras]but yes, even if you go fetch cards from outside your deck, you can never have more than 4 copies of any card in your deck.

i believe this works as a state base check, if at any point your deck isn't legal(ie: has 5 copies of any card) then you forfeit the game immediately.[/QUOTE]

I just searched through the comp rules pdf and I found no such rule and no such state based action.
the word "forfeit" doesn't even exist in the document!

if you find it in here please let me know until then, go nuts with casual game fetching!
Posted 03 February 2011 at 10:39

would you be more comfortable with the word 'like' rather than 'as'

i tried to describe the implied logic...seems like pretty common sense.

there's no rule that you lose the game if you're caught cheating either but do we really need them to spell it out for us?
Posted 03 February 2011 at 14:28

[QUOTE=Seras]there's no rule that you lose the game if you're caught cheating either but do we really need them to spell it out for us?[/QUOTE]

And that's why I like Seras, no bullshit and always to the point :)
Posted 03 February 2011 at 14:33

This seriously just plays into the Social Contract of the game, i.e. if you're gonna cheat, people won't play with you and if you're doing stuff that people don't like, people won't play with you. Competitive tournaments have rules against this stuff because they need to be there, but when you're playing casually you guys can use the cards however you want. The rules at that point are more of a suggestion that everyone follows so you're all playing the same game.
Posted 17 February 2011 at 04:08