Discussion Forum

Livewire lash question

Hello I just had a few questions about the card "Livewire Lash".

1) I was wondering how does livewire lash work with a doublestrike creature? Does the creature deal dmg twice or just once?

2) This is probably a dumb question but I just wanted to make sure. I am new to the whole level up thing. If I have livewire lash on a level up creature does the ability trigger whenever I level up the creature? I highly doubt it but I just wanted to make sure.
Posted 04 February 2011 at 05:33

2: the leveling abilities do not target the creature so no, it doesn't trigger the lash.
Posted 04 February 2011 at 14:45

[QUOTE=Seras]2: the leveling abilities do not target the creature so no, it doesn't trigger the lash.[/QUOTE]

Also, Livewire Lash only triggers when the equipped creature is the target of a spell. So even cards like Venerated Teacher who add level counters to creatures, or Gilder Bairn who doubles the number of counters on a permanent, will not trigger Livewire Lash either because they are abilities of permanents, not of spells.

1) Double strike only affects how the creature deals combat damage, and combat damage is only ever dealt when a creature attacks. Whenever a creature deals damage because of Livewire Lash's triggered ability (even if that creature is attacking), it deals that damage exactly as Livewire Lash describes. So, no, it will only deal 2 damage, and will only deal it once.
Posted 04 February 2011 at 22:38

Alright two more question about livewire lash. I now learned that livewire lash only triggeres from "spells" coming into play. But what if I cast the land card "Sejiri Steppe" and have the coming into play ability target a creature with livewire lash. Will livewire lash trigger?

Last question, if I cast "Kor Skyfisher" and target a creature with livewire lash equiped will the ability trigger before it bounces to my hand?

Sorry about all the questions about this card and thanks in advance!
Posted 05 February 2011 at 03:39

[QUOTE=ancolby]Alright two more question about livewire lash. I now learned that livewire lash only triggeres from "spells" coming into play. But what if I cast the land card "Sejiri Steppe" and have the coming into play ability target a creature with livewire lash. Will livewire lash trigger?[/quote]

No. That is a triggered ability targeting the creature, not a spell.

[QUOTE]Last question, if I cast "Kor Skyfisher" and target a creature with livewire lash equiped will the ability trigger before it bounces to my hand?[/QUOTE]

No. That is a triggered ability targeting the creature, not a spell.
Posted 05 February 2011 at 04:09

Also, lands are the only cards (and tokens, I guess, they're technically "cards") that aren't spells.

The easy way to answer all questions about when Livewire Lash is triggered, is to ask a) Does the equipped creature become targeted when a spell resolves from the stack? or b) Does the equipped creature become targeted as a spell becomes a permanent and enters the battlefield?

If a) then yes. If b) then no.
Posted 06 February 2011 at 15:32

Quick Aside: Tokens are actually technically not cards. If anything in the text of a magic card refers to a card (i.e. whenever a creature card goes to the graveyard, do this), it means a card, not a token.
Posted 17 February 2011 at 04:04

as stated before tokens do hit the graveyard even just for a second. this will trigery any abilities that state "when a crature enters the graveyard". also if Tokens werent' really cards then why did MTG put out token cards in the booster packs? because I've got a few of them. LOL :)
Posted 17 February 2011 at 04:51

Eh, it's the way the rules are worded. If an ability says 'if a creature is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, do this' vs 'if a creature card is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, do this', there's just that slight difference in the rules.

Tokens were printed as cards to give players a tactile token to play with instead of dice as a matter of convenience. Since it's not required to use 'em, they're just nice to have.
Posted 17 February 2011 at 05:09

Thanks for clarifying the Card vs Creature for me. I didn’t think there was a difference but I can see how the tokens wouldn’t be creature cards but would be creatures.

I have to say that I’ve really learned a lot from posting stuff in the rule/questions forums. Thanks to all for helping me understand the rules and functionality of the cards. 
Posted 17 February 2011 at 15:41

's fine, we're here to help.
Posted 18 February 2011 at 15:42

If i cast soul parry on the creature with live wire lash, and my opponent casts giant growth in response, does the livewire lash triggers from the giant growth
Posted 22 February 2011 at 14:44

yes, it triggers from the giant growth, the soul parry hasn't resolved yet.
Posted 22 February 2011 at 19:15