Discussion Forum

Question!

Ok, my friend pulled this combo on me during a game of magic. I let him slide with it because I was not 100% sure if this sead combo could happen rule wise, and pumps his life to 1,000,000.

Ok, first turn he gets a free Leyline of Vitality, then around the fourth turn he put's a Wren's Run Packmaster onto the field with help of some cheap mana producing creatures, plus lands. The turn after he put's Wren's Run Packmaster into play, he dishes out another, and uses the first Wren's Run Packmaster for it's cost... then right after, he does it again with another Wren's Run Packmaster, thus is where this combo comes into play.

Using all three in a chain that never ends until he chooses not to pay for it's field cost, which added with Leyline of Vitality gives him 1 life each time a creature was brought into play.

Anyways... is this even possable? I've read the card over and over again... and it SEEMS like he's in the right with his judgment.
Posted 04 February 2011 at 18:12

yes, you can create a loop with 3 champions.
Posted 04 February 2011 at 18:35

[QUOTE=Seras]yes, you can create a loop with 3 champions.[/QUOTE]

:mad: Dang! So if he pulls this off again... he can bring his life to 999,999,999,999... or more?

Man... if so, this is awesome, but sucks for me.
Posted 04 February 2011 at 18:40

just tell him he has to manually step through every loop iteration...he'll get bored before reaching any ridiculous number hehe
Posted 04 February 2011 at 18:45

[QUOTE=Seras]just tell him he has to manually step through every loop iteration...he'll get bored before reaching any ridiculous number hehe[/QUOTE]

*Laughs* Yeah, I could be a pain and demand him to do so. With that nighmare question out of the way.

Ok, now for my last question... if Lorwyn: Lys Alana Huntmaster was added to this combo, could he pull this off as well? I'm not sure if Wren's Run Packmaster's Champion ability is counted as a elf spell to be able to trigger Lorwyn Lys ability...
Posted 04 February 2011 at 18:52

[QUOTE=Howlinger]*Laughs* Yeah, I could be a pain and demand him to do so.[/quote]

That would be fun, but bear in mind that section 714 of the Comprehensive Rules allows a shortcut in the case of indefinitely repeatable loops, whereby the player just says how many times he wants to go through the loop and then the game proceeds without him having go through the physical motions.

[quote]Ok, now for my last question... if Lorwyn: Lys Alana Huntmaster was added to this combo, could he pull this off as well? I'm not sure if Wren's Run Packmaster's Champion ability is counted as a elf spell to be able to trigger Lorwyn Lys ability...[/QUOTE]

No. Each of the Champions was only cast as a spell once. From then on the loop runs on triggered abilities.

It works with abilities that trigger "when [something] enters the battlefield," but not with abilities that watch for spells to be cast.
Posted 04 February 2011 at 23:41

[QUOTE=Aneximines]
No. Each of the Champions was only cast as a spell once. From then on the loop runs on triggered abilities.

It works with abilities that trigger "when [something] enters the battlefield," but not with abilities that watch for spells to be cast.[/QUOTE]

Darn! Well, it was a good thought in hoping it would work. Would be nice to slam a army of elves in countless number all the while gaining life.

Anyways, thanks guys for you help. It was much needed...
Posted 05 February 2011 at 05:51