Discussion Forum

First Strike/Double Strike questions

So I know Double Strike works by dealing first strike damage then regular damage, but yesterday during a game we came across an issue.

5/5 monster attacks me, it has Bladed Pinions attached and has some instant that gives it double strike.

I block with 3 Ezuri's Archers.

So the idea was batted around that First strike damage was done to all three of my creatures, killed the lot and the 5/5 survives...I figured that couldn't possibly be right and we ruled it that way. Was that right?

We eventually ruled it that the first strike damage killed one of them, then regular damage was assigned 2/2/1 so 2 archers died, 1 survived and the 5/5 was dead. Was this right?

THEN the idea was batted around, suggesting that first strike could somehow be stacked. So for example if you had a card with first strike and attached Bladed Pinions it would somehow cause all the damage to be first strike...Double strike might have been suggested at one point also. Either way that sounded unrealistic to me. Is that, as I suspect, wrong?

Thanks for any responses.
Posted 06 February 2011 at 20:34

so let me get this straight

player A attacks with a 5/5 flying double strike creature
player B blocks with 3 4/2 creatures

result should be that 2 of those blockers die from first strike damage and one 4/2 deals 4 damage and recieves 5 regular damage + 1 first strike damage. that means all blockers died and the attacker lives

first strike can't be stacked
double strike and first strike do not stack
double strike = first strike + regular damage
Posted 06 February 2011 at 21:45

Right, I get ya. We were all wrong...always good to know xD
Posted 06 February 2011 at 21:52