Discussion Forum

deck "fallen off" the upcoming list

hi there.

after being bombarded with rubbish 'giant growth + infect" decks i brewed up a new take on the infect archetype with a friend of mine.

anyway, it got some really positive comments and within a matter of a few hours it recieved 50 ish "likes" and a whole bunch of comments.

anyway, over the course of the day, it shot up the "upcoming" list, eventually disappearing off the top of the list completely.

with joy (at people praising my innovations and hard work) i checked the front page, expecting it to appear somewhere at the bottom of the "top decks" page as a new contender.... but for some reason it's just completely disappeared.

now, unfortunately, my deck stands no chance of people seeing the work i put into testing and trying new ideas.

my question is this:
is there a "points" gap between the "upcoming" list and the "top decks" list? if so, why? surely this presents an insurmountable barrier to excellent new decks who's makers aren't well known on the site.

i'm pretty sure after such a meteoric rise in popularity, my deck shouldn't just "fall off" the list and lose its momentum....?!
Posted 08 February 2011 at 00:57

A deck hits top with 50 likes, at which point it will stay on the top until enough new decks "bump" it off. Once up there, your deck sits safe and happy to bask in glory. (ok, sorry for the hyperbole).

The upcoming list is brutal, sometimes more so than other times. At times it can get 'clogged' and other times it 'runs dry'. The point is, there's always decks fighting their way up the list, and some struggling to even make an appearance. I'm not sure how long it is, but there's a point of time between the last time a deck on the upcoming list was 'active' where it gets kicked off. I call it 'going stale'. :D

It's happened to me too. I have a deck that dropped off at 49 likes. No friggin' joke. =/
Posted 08 February 2011 at 04:16

Here's the problem then:

within about 12 hours, my deck went from having no 'likes' as a brand new deck, to having 56. This was (at the time of posting my last comment on the deck) actually MORE than both of the decks at the very top of the 'top decks' list (having respectively, 54 and 50).

comments on the deck were slowly paced at first, but when the deck was around 45 likes and upwards, there was constant activity on the deck.

when it hit precisely 50 likes, it disappeared instantly from 'upcoming' and failed to appear on the front page, even failing to do so when it overtook the top two decks there in the following half an hour or so (!!).
[edit: now has 60 (!) likes and still nothing]
this has to be a bug, right?
Posted 08 February 2011 at 06:53

Is your username "purkle" on the site too? Can you link me to the deck in question so I can take a look? ;)

The top decks list shows the decks listed in the order they hit the list, the newest decks to hit this list will be at the top, the next newest will be second and so on. The number of likes/activity on decks after the point of 50 is no longer used to determine where on the site the deck sits. The original idea was to add paging to this so users could go back through the entire history and see every top deck that ever made the homepage... I've not done this yet. :P
Posted 08 February 2011 at 09:26

Fixed that. My bad. Apologies Purkle, but it's now there "basking in it's glory", as put by surewhynot :p

Ian
Posted 08 February 2011 at 09:33

[QUOTE=Gary]Is your username "purkle" on the site too? Can you link me to the deck in question so I can take a look? ;)
:P[/QUOTE]

kk no problem. the decklist is:

http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=144788

mono-white infect. tried to make it as much like a 'proper' tournament deck as i could (none of this rubbish "giant growth" stuff, lol), with the cards i actually own. extended btw.

i may add a splash of red for ajani vengeant in the future.

and [quote]Fixed that. My bad. Apologies Purkle, but it's now there "basking in it's glory"[/quote]

thanks so much.

i honestly have never been on a website that has such active and committed devs.

*bows*
Posted 08 February 2011 at 16:37