Discussion Forum

I need a ruling on Sigil Captain and Persist

Does Sigil Captain's effect trigger on 2/2 Persist creatures that come into play?
Posted 17 August 2009 at 05:39

I would say yes. Because the creature that is coming onto the battlefield is a 1/1 as the persist ability says that when it comes out of your graveyard and onto the battlefield it comes with a -1/-1 counter on it. Thus it is now a 1/1.
Posted 09 September 2009 at 07:31

The Sigil Captain's ability will not trigger when the persist creature comes into play the first time, due to it being a 2/2. However, when it is destroyed and sent to the graveyard, it will return to play as a 2/2 with the -1/-1 counter, making it a 1/1. Therefore the ability would trigger, making the creature a 2/2 with the -1/-1 counter on it. I believe I understand where your going with this but it wont work the way your probably planning. Even though It is a 2/2 because of the Sigil Captains ability, it will not make your persist creatures last forever. The -1/-1 counter will remain on it and if it were to die again it will stay dead because it has the -1/-1 counter on it at the time of its second death.
Posted 15 September 2009 at 17:01

the -1-1 counter is removed because of the two +1+1 counters going on to the creature so the persist will trigger again foever. the reson it will come back is sigil captain puts two +1+1 counters on the creature making it a 3 3 instead of a 2 2 or a 1 1. one of the plus counters removes the - counter that the persist puts on.
Posted 27 September 2009 at 06:13

That isnt true, putting a +1/+1 counter on a creature does not remove a -1/-1 counter. If we were talking about wither then the effect would be the same. For instance, If you have a 2/2 persist creature in play and it dies, it would come into play with a -1/-1 counter on it. If you had a spell or ability that gives it a +1/+1 counter, the -1/-1 counter would still be on the creature with a +1/+1 counter as well. They would cancel each other out and the creature wouldnt recieve a bonus from the +1/+1 counter until more are placed on him. If the creature dies then it would die permanantly due to it dying another time with a -1/-1 counter on it. The only way to make a persist creature last longer is by having a spell or ability that removes -1/-1 counters such as Quillspike. If you would like I can quote the Magic Comprehensive Rulebook to show you.
Posted 27 September 2009 at 16:10

yes, it's true. here is the ruling:

"120.2. If a permanent has both a +1/+1 counter and a -1/-1 counter on it, N +1/+1 and N -1/-1 counters are removed from it as a state-based action, where N is the smaller of the number of +1/+1 and -1/-1 counters on it."
Posted 16 October 2009 at 19:41