Discussion Forum

Question on summoning sickness.

I had an argument the other day about summoning sickness. Someone posted a deck on mtg vault and said he can pull off a 1st turn win. I say wow! But noticed he's using Inkmoth Nexus. Now, I remembered when I played with Mishra's Factory, I was said I couldn't attack with it on 1st turn 'cause it had summoning sickness. So how is it different with the Nexus?
Can anyone clarify that for me? Was I misinformed?
Thanx in advance for your time.
Posted 12 February 2011 at 20:01

[QUOTE=psychicvacuum]I had an argument the other day about summoning sickness. Someone posted a deck on mtg vault and said he can pull off a 1st turn win. I say wow! But noticed he's using Inkmoth Nexus. Now, I remembered when I played with Mishra's Factory, I was said I couldn't attack with it on 1st turn 'cause it had summoning sickness. So how is it different with the Nexus?
Can anyone clarify that for me? Was I misinformed?
Thanx in advance for your time.[/QUOTE]

You have it right.

302.6. A creature’s activated ability with the tap symbol or the untap symbol in its activation cost can’t be activated unless the creature has been under its controller’s control continuously since his or her most recent turn began. A creature can’t attack unless it has been under its controller’s control continuously since his or her most recent turn began. This rule is informally called the “summoning sickness” rule.

If you animate an Inkmoth Nexus the turn it enters the 'field, you can't even tap it for mana, much less attack with it.
Posted 13 February 2011 at 00:22

Even so, if you play Nexus on turn 1 how are you paying for the animation? You can tap it to animate itself but it will be tapped so you can't attack with it anyway.
Posted 15 February 2011 at 18:46

easy, mox sapphire
Posted 17 February 2011 at 03:44

[QUOTE=NightLoki]easy, mox sapphire[/QUOTE]

Or some more tangible choices: Lotus Petal, Mox Diamond, Elvish Spirit Guide, Simian Spirit Guide.
Posted 17 February 2011 at 05:07

[QUOTE=adamkomar]Or some more tangible choices: Lotus Petal, Mox Diamond, Elvish Spirit Guide, Simian Spirit Guide.[/QUOTE]

Tangible nothing, I've held power. and it is....not particularly amazing.
Posted 17 February 2011 at 05:10

Good point, but I have a similar question (sort of).

If my opponent has a creature in play for 3 turns and I take control of it with Mind Control, does that creature have summoning sickness? I personally believe that it doesn't, but everyone in my gaming circle says it does. I have been wrong before and most likely am now as well.
Posted 17 February 2011 at 17:00

I would say that you are RIGHT. The creature only would have summoning sickness the turn it HIT THE TABLE...after that, it doesn't matter who has control over it.

Having said that....I would certainly defer to the resident experts if I/We are incorrect! ~bows down~
Posted 17 February 2011 at 17:57

if it didn't start your turn under your control then it has summoning sickness.

it has nothing to do with when the creature comes into play, it's based solely on control.

you'll notice a lot of spells/abilities that let you take control of opponent's creature for only one turn will specify that it gives the creature haste. this is because without haste the creature would be mostly useless.
Posted 17 February 2011 at 18:29

I wouldn't have believed it....but dang.

302.6 "...A creature can’t attack unless it has been under its controller’s control continuously since his or her most recent turn began."

Just when I felt confident in answering questions here !
Posted 17 February 2011 at 18:50

lol i know how you feel.

I assumed the "summoning" part refered directly to the time it was "summoned" into play.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Posted 18 February 2011 at 01:36

ya it's a misleading name but no one has ever come up with a better one so it's stuck around.
Posted 18 February 2011 at 01:39

lol. it's a good thing i choose not to contradict them.
Posted 18 February 2011 at 02:07