Discussion Forum

three newbie questions

If you could please post the offical rulings for each question that would be most helpful to show my friends.

question one: is it leagal to play lands from your hand onto your opponents field of play for them to use? example would be so that you could use landwalk.

question two: could someone please explain the functionality of Excommunicate and Banishment Decree. If it can pull something from the graveyard to the top of the library or if it can only target things that are on the battle field.

question three: can you choose colorless as a color. exapmple: you cast Curse of Wizardry and you have to choose a color, but your opponent is playing an artifact deck. could you choose colorless as a color for this enchantment to function?
Posted 16 February 2011 at 02:26

[QUOTE=LurkerDark]question one: is it leagal to play lands from your hand onto your opponents field of play for them to use? example would be so that you could use landwalk.[/quote]

No.

To play a land card is to put it onto the battlefield.

305. Lands

305.1. A player who has priority may play a land card from his or her hand during a main phase of his or her turn when the stack is empty. Playing a land is a special action; it doesn’t use the stack (see rule 115). Rather, the player simply puts the land onto the battlefield. Since the land doesn’t go on the stack, it is never a spell, and players can’t respond to it with instants or activated abilities.

The permanent that the land card becomes is controlled by the player who put it onto the battlefield.

110.2. A permanent’s owner is the same as the owner of the card that represents it (unless it’s a token; see rule 110.5a). A permanent’s controller is, by default, the player under whose control it entered the battlefield. Every permanent has a controller.

So, if you put your Forest on your opponent's side of the table, you still control it, and your opponent doesn't.

Shanodin Dryads doesn't care where on the battlefield Forests are, it cares who controls them.

[QUOTE]question two: could someone please explain the functionality of Excommunicate and Banishment Decree. If it can pull something from the graveyard to the top of the library or if it can only target things that are on the battle field.[/QUOTE]

It can only target things on the battlefield.

109.2. If a spell or ability uses a description of an object that includes a card type or subtype, but doesn’t include the word “card,” “spell,” “source,” or “scheme,” it means a permanent of that card type or subtype on the battlefield.

The utility is that it consumes the player's next draw. Instead of drawing something new, perhaps something that could save them from your diabolical plots, they draw something that they already had.

This utility is not enormous, but can be devastating in certain delicate circumstances.

Also, in the short term, it gets rid of the thing, and does so in a way that circumvents things like regeneration, indestructibility, persist, Reassembling Skeleton's ability, etc.

[quote]question three: can you choose colorless as a color. exapmple: you cast Curse of Wizardry and you have to choose a color, but your opponent is playing an artifact deck. could you choose colorless as a color for this enchantment to function?[/QUOTE]

No.

105. Colors

105.1. There are five colors in the Magic game: white, blue, black, red, and green.
105.4. If a player is asked to choose a color, he or she must choose one of the five colors. “Multicolored” is not a color. Neither is “colorless.”

(quotes from the Comprehensive Rules)
Posted 16 February 2011 at 05:14

thank you very much for all of your answers.

but in regards to question two, my friend seems to think that you can target anything even things that would be in the graveyard. I think that you can only target things on the battle field because the card dose not state that you can target things in the graveyard. but he says that it doesn't state exactly where you need to look in order to target the permanent.

With these answers and the clarification of qustion two I hope to put these long hours of "discussing" the functionality of these cards to rest. "Discussing" a card for more then an hour really eats into the game time. LOL

on a side note I am sorry to hear that question 3 does not pertaine to colorless or artifact cards. but I'm sure my friend will be happy that he was right about something. LOL :)
Posted 16 February 2011 at 05:24

[QUOTE=LurkerDark]but in regards to question two, my friend seems to think that you can target anything even things that would be in the graveyard. I think that you can only target things on the battle field because the card dose not state that you can target things in the graveyard. but he says that it doesn't state exactly where you need to look in order to target the permanent.[/QUOTE]

I editted my response to answer that question; here's the rules quote:

109.2. If a spell or ability uses a description of an object that includes a card type or subtype, but doesn’t include the word “card,” “spell,” “source,” or “scheme,” it means a permanent of that card type or subtype on the battlefield.
Posted 16 February 2011 at 05:26

Im not sure about the answer question 1, but someone else may give out a more specific ruling about this. logically speaking, anything that you play, you control, unless specified by the card. so following this line of thought:

403.1. Most of the area between the players represents the battlefield. The battlefield starts out empty. Permanents a player controls are normally kept in front of him or her on the battlefield, though there are some cases (such as an Aura attached to another player’s permanent) when a permanent one player controls is kept closer to a different player.

so when you play a land from your hand it goes to your area of the battlefield, not to your opponents side (unless another effect says different). if your gonna use landwalk, better have spells that change land types like spreading seas or blood moon

question 2 and 3 is pretty straight-forward:

403.2. A spell or ability affects and checks only the battlefield unless it specifically mentions a player or another zone.

this means that excommunicate can only target creatures in the battlefield because it did not say graveyard.

105.4. If a player is asked to choose a color, he or she must choose one of the five colors. “Multicolored” is not a color. Neither is “colorless.”

as it says, colorless is not an option to choose for these type of effect.
Posted 16 February 2011 at 05:34

sorry, clicked twice... for my post...
Posted 16 February 2011 at 05:35

Thank you very much for all of your answers and help explaining the functionality of the cards. You've been a huge help!! :D
Posted 16 February 2011 at 13:16