Discussion Forum

Stupid Infect question

Bougth myself a set of them Phyrexian Crusaders and then I though, this still works with Umezawa's Jitte right? Infect damage is still concidered comat damage right? It's not some replacement effect that replaces damage by -1/-1 counters or poison counters making Jitte useless?

just checking to be sure
Posted 17 February 2011 at 13:22

My understanding is that Infect deals damage like Wither against creatures, and Poison against players...

...which brings me to MY question. A 2/2 creature with infect gets through to hit the player...is that ONE poison counter or TWO (is it based on one per attack, or one per point of damage)??
Posted 17 February 2011 at 13:57

[QUOTE=Seth]Bougth myself a set of them Phyrexian Crusaders and then I though, this still works with Umezawa's Jitte right? Infect damage is still concidered comat damage right? It's not some replacement effect that replaces damage by -1/-1 counters or poison counters making Jitte useless?

just checking to be sure[/QUOTE]

"Infect (This creature deals damage to creatures in the form of -1/-1 counters and to players in the form of poison counters.)"

so yes, it still counts as dealing damage =)
Posted 17 February 2011 at 14:35

[QUOTE=Wolfe359_01]is it based on one per attack, or one per point of damage??[/QUOTE]

per point of damage.
Posted 17 February 2011 at 14:38

Frick....my wife's Slivers are getting worse!:mad:
Posted 17 February 2011 at 14:50

so...further discussion, and I guess Im getting mixed up...

a 2/2 creature with POISON would hit for 2 points damage AND 1 poison counter....

a 2/2 creature with INFECT would hit for 0 points of damage AND 2 poison counters...

is that right?
Posted 17 February 2011 at 15:08

no, against a player they would both deal 2 poison counters, no life lost.

against a creature the infect creature deals two -1/-1 counters and the poison creature deals 2 damage.

to clear up the wording..they ALL deal damage, what varies is the form that the damage takes.
Posted 17 February 2011 at 15:13

Is this a recent change to how poison works?
Posted 17 February 2011 at 15:15

oops, i misinterpreted your info...i assumed the 2/2 poison creature had 'poison 2'...which you never mentioned.

the poison ability has a value, that's how many poison counters it deals per attack.
Posted 17 February 2011 at 15:24

yeah, I think I got it figured out...

Virulent Sliver would hit a player for 1 point of damage AND 1 poison counter (because its Poisonous 1)...

so...if said Sliver had a +1/+1 (as Slivers tend to do:mad:)...it would hit a player for 2 points damage, but still only ONE poison counter.

Right??
Posted 17 February 2011 at 15:31

there's no "AND"

it deals poison counters INSTEAD of causing the opponent to lose life.
Posted 17 February 2011 at 15:39

wow...is this difficult, or am I just particularly thick-skulled??

Thanks for explaining...I think I have it now.

If I attack with Virulent Sliver, and it goes through to the player, said player would take NO damage, but ONE poison counter.

If I attack with River Merfolk enchanted with Snake Cult Initiation, and it went through to the player (Mountainwalk) the player would still take NO damage, but THREE poison counters.

Creatures with poisonous will damage other creatures, but not poison them.

I can see why "infect" is such a nasty thing to be hit with!
Posted 17 February 2011 at 18:17

that's mostly right, the whole thing is made confusing by the varying uses of the word 'damage'.

poison/infect is still considered 'damage', it just deals it in the form of poison counters which does not cause loss of life.
Posted 17 February 2011 at 18:21

[quote=Seras]that's mostly right, the whole thing is made confusing by the varying uses of the word 'damage'.

poison/infect is still considered 'damage', it just deals it in the form of poison counters which does not cause loss of life.[/quote]
In other words, another Marketing Tool of Wizards of the Coast followed by Vampires. :P
Posted 17 February 2011 at 18:25

huh..what?
Posted 17 February 2011 at 18:27

[quote=Seras]huh..what?[/quote]
Nevermind, dont worry about it :)
Posted 17 February 2011 at 18:28

Thank you for your time and patience.
Posted 17 February 2011 at 18:33

Problem here. Virulent Sliver does not have infect, it has "poisonous," which is very different (the only similarity is that they both involve damage and poison counters).

702.67. Poisonous

702.67a Poisonous is a triggered ability. “Poisonous N” means “Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, that player gets N poison counters.” (For information about poison counters, see rule 104.3d.)

702.67b If a creature has multiple instances of poisonous, each triggers separately.

This is a triggered ability, that triggers off of combat damage.

A poisonous creature does deal regular damage. When it deals combat damage to a player, its ability triggers (can be Stifled), and when that ability resolves, the player gets poison counters.

So,

[QUOTE=Wolfe359_01]If I attack with Virulent Sliver, and it goes through to the player, said player would take NO damage, but ONE poison counter.[/QUOTE]

No, it would deal one point of normal damage (causing the player to lose one life), and then its ability gives the player one poison counter.

In this case, the power of the creature and the number of poison counters are unrelated.

If there were a Virulent Sliver and a Sinew Sliver, they'd each deal 2 damage to a player and each give 1 poison counter.

If there were two Virulent Slivers, each would deal 1 damage to a player and each give 2 poison counters.

Remember, though, "poisonous" is a rare case. Creatures with infect act the way Seras described: their damage to players results in poison counters instead of life loss.
Posted 18 February 2011 at 08:29

that popping sound was my head exploding...

but I think I finally have a handle on it
Posted 18 February 2011 at 13:48

To just make this clear:

Poisonous is a triggered ability that gives poison counters in addition to damage.

Infect is a static ability that replaces damage to players with poison counters.

We cool?
Posted 18 February 2011 at 15:48