Discussion Forum

Dissipation Field

Hello All,

I have a question regarding the card Dissipation Field. The card actually says "Whenever a permanent deals damage to you, return it to its owner's hand."

My question is, what if that permanent is a creature token? My assumption is that it would go to the graveyard.

Thanks in advance!!

Mike
Posted 23 February 2011 at 15:15

nope, it goes to your hand

...at which point it stops to exist.

tokens follow all the same rules as regular creature and they get sent to the same zones. However, tokens cannot exist in zones other than the battlefield so they stop existing as soon as they get moved to another zone.

but they still trigger all the leaving/entering zone triggers.
Posted 23 February 2011 at 15:31

To expand on that (and I'm not 100% on this, but this is how it's been ruled for me before) the token can be sent to anywhere another permanent of its type could be sent, but tokens can only exist on the battlefield. So, the moment it leaves the battlefield it ceases to exist, and it never actually arrives in it's destination.

This only matters when other triggered abilities rely upon another card arriving in another zone, such as Warped Devotion which causes a player to discard a card when a permanent is returned to their hand. Since the token never actually reaches that player's hand, they do not discard a card.

If Seras (or someone else) could confirm this, it'd be muchly appreciated.. since I'm in the process of building a bomb ass :manau::manab: control deck based around Dissipation Field and Warped Devotion and other bounce/discard spells.
Posted 24 February 2011 at 03:35

[QUOTE=SavajCabbaj]So, the moment it leaves the battlefield it ceases to exist, and it never actually arrives in it's destination.[/QUOTE]

No, it ceases to exist after arriving in the new zone.

For example a destroyed creature token will trigger 'enters the graveyard' effects and a token returned to it's controller's hand would trigger warped devotion.

[QUOTE]216.3. A token in a zone other than the in-play zone ceases to exist. This is a state-based effect. (Note that a token changing zones sets off triggered abilities before the token ceases to exist.) Once a token has left play, it can't be returned to play by any means. [/QUOTE]
Posted 24 February 2011 at 03:55

Ah, the last time I checked the rules about tokens, I seemed to recall reading that they could not exist anywhere but the battlefield. I don't know if the error occurred via inferring the consequences, or simply misreading them.

Thanks, that's good to know, and changes a /lot/ for how I run my decks.. especially since token engines seem to be my favorite theme.
Posted 24 February 2011 at 04:00

yup, it's why Echoing Truth is the best answer to token decks =)
Posted 24 February 2011 at 04:03

That and Leyline of Singularity :P
Posted 24 February 2011 at 04:23

Thanks for the info! I am still learning this game so I appreciate the help!!

Mike
Posted 24 February 2011 at 11:22

another thing, a token enterign the battlefield is not equivalent to casting a creature. Casting is only frm the hand. Exception would be rebound
Posted 24 February 2011 at 15:35

casting is, specifically, putting a spell onto the stack. just fyi.
Posted 24 February 2011 at 19:29

[QUOTE=olataro]another thing, a token enterign the battlefield is not equivalent to casting a creature. Casting is only frm the hand. Exception would be rebound[/QUOTE]

Actually, casting a spell only occurs from your hand or from exile, which isn't limited exclusively to Rebound.

Similar to how creating a token is not casting a spell, casting a copy of a spell (Pyromancer Ascension) is not casting a spell. This become significant with abilities such as Storm or which trigger when a spell is cast.

But, if an ability exiles a card and later allows you to cast it (Knowledge Pool), you are still casting that spell.
Posted 26 February 2011 at 22:31

[QUOTE=SavajCabbaj]Actually, casting a spell only occurs from your hand or from exile, which isn't limited exclusively to Rebound.[/QUOTE]

Effects allowing, you can also cast spells from your library (Future Sight) and graveyard (Yawgmoth's Will).

In fact, when the rules define "casting a spell," the hand is mentioned only parenthetically:

601.2. To cast a spell is to take it from where it is (usually the hand), put it on the stack, and pay its costs, so that it will eventually resolve and have its effect. Casting a spell follows the steps listed below...
Posted 27 February 2011 at 05:58