Discussion Forum

Why I play Vintage

Simple...I've invested in thousands of cards...and I want to be able to use them all! Some of the cards have certainly changed, others have almost disappeared altogether. I really get a kick out of the looks on the "young bucks" faces when I play things like Living Wall
Posted 24 February 2011 at 13:48

Most poeple who claim they only play standard or you have to play standard legal are new to the game and only own cards from the last few sets. There are exceptions, those who are only interested in standard tournaments, but even most of those like to play a little Commander/EDH on the side. Tournament play gets boring.

Most of us want to play whatever we feel like. That's where the fun is. And that's why we have this section :)
Posted 24 February 2011 at 14:56

Yeah I agree playing casual is way more fun. I can safely say I only have 2 standard decks and I use them at fnm standard events but i don't enter a lot of the time as where i play they have legacy/vintage on tuesday nights and edh/pauper/planechase etc all day sunday
Posted 24 February 2011 at 17:45

I loves my eternal formats, but I play Legacy in tournaments so...yeah. The format is super diverse though, which is fantastic.
Posted 24 February 2011 at 19:47

Finally getting to go to a tournament in Iowa City on Sunday, about time I finally got to play some Legacy. Vintage is Broken to me and Lacks diversity and Flavor. Every deck that includes Black HAS to play Demonic Tutor and Vampiric Tutor, in Legacy that typically does not happen. I like having a massive variety of decks to play with, only a few new cards effecting a format at a time, and having value in the things I purchase that retain their value for the most part. Also, new is not always better.
Posted 24 February 2011 at 22:06

Yeah I like diversity well I like using older cards hell I got over like 9000 cards from Kamigawa and back. I run 2 Kamigawa decks Samurai & Rats, 2 Ravnica Guild decks Simics & Dimir. I run traditional saprolings. There are to man cards to keep to 1 format. All in all I have like 13 decks full together 1 standard, 1 extended. I love VINTAGE (even elves & couterspell that aint mine.)

http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=155434
Posted 01 March 2011 at 23:29

Variety. I could see how this would be "boring" at the tournament level where only "winning" combination are used. At the casual level you get to see all sorts of unique combinations. I know when I first started playing half the fun was seeing new ideas and combos for the first time (land tax / land's edge / zuran orb).

On a separate note, can I get some help developing the following two decks? The deck development forum is closed and vintage seems like a good place to discuss them.

Grinch Styled Xmas Deck
http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=155476

Anti-infect / Huge Creature Deck
http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=155480

Thanks in advance.
Posted 02 March 2011 at 07:33