Discussion Forum

Karona, False God and Narcolepsy, Does Karona stay tapped?

Hello if I enchant Karona, False God with Narcolepsy, does Karona stay tapped during my opponents upkeep when he/she would normally untap her? I am considering running an EDH deck with Karona as my general.

I am at a loss because both cards either tap or untap during upkeep. Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Pinky!
Posted 25 February 2011 at 18:54

Alright, so this is a fun little lesson in priority. So, saying that Player A(you) controls Karona and Player B casts narcolepsy on it. Whether it untaps depends on whose turn it is. Let's say it's your turn. So during your upkeep, Karona and Narcolepsy both trigger. They go on the stack in active player, non-active player order, So Karona below Narcolepsy. Narcolepsy resolves first, tapping Karona. Then Karona resolves, untapping karona and giving you control. Now let's say Player B has Karona, but it's your turn. Since that player controls both triggers, (s)he can choose what order to put them on the stack. You just have to remember that triggers go on the stack in APNAP (ActiveP, NonactiveP) order, then resolve in reverse. Then you can figure it out from there, just resolving each trigger one at a time. It's too complicated to list every permutation (once you get past 3 players it gets silly to do so), but if you apply APNAP correctly, you should get it down just fine.

tl;dr: Put triggers on the stack in turn order, resolve them in 'Last-First' order, then see what happens. And remember, If you control more than one trigger that happens at the same time, you can stack them in any order you want.
Posted 25 February 2011 at 19:24

my comprehension of EDH is limited but isn't it a really bad idea to give your general away like that?
Posted 25 February 2011 at 19:47

Thank you very much for the quick response. Makes a lot of sense the way that you explained it.
Posted 25 February 2011 at 19:53

[QUOTE=Seras]my comprehension of EDH is limited but isn't it a really bad idea to give your general away like that?[/QUOTE]

Yes. Yes it is.

[QUOTE]Thank you very much for the quick response. Makes a lot of sense the way that you explained it. [/QUOTE]

No problem, happy to help. I thought it was a little long myself.
Posted 26 February 2011 at 01:05

@ Seras

Yes it is a bad idea. Thats what makes it fun. We play a lot of multi-player EDH at my local shop. I figure i will just tap my general when I don't want someone to use her, or just bounce her to my hand. I just made this deck for the fun factor. :)
Posted 26 February 2011 at 19:50