Discussion Forum

Questions about Myr Battlesphere

Hey guys, first time poster here. Anyways, I run a U/W casual myr deck and I have a question about the stack involving myr battlesphere. (deck link: http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=154462)

I want to know if the stack allows me to declare my attackers, declaring 4 token myrs and a myr battlesphere, leaving say two myr gavlanizers back, Then in response to this have one galvanizer untap all my myrs to tap into a myr battlesphere. I ask this because I recently read a ruling on something similar involving Master Transmuter

"Q: I control a Myr Battlesphere and its four token friends, and I attack with the Battlesphere. Can I respond to the attack trigger by blinking the Battlesphere with Master Transmuter to get an untapped Battlesphere and four more Myr to tap for the attack trigger?

A: I like the way you think! Yes, that's legal, and you'll deal 9 damage to your opponent's head. When the attack trigger resolves, you control nine untapped Myr that you can all tap for that ability. The Myr that's dealing the damage doesn't exist any more and it's not attacking anymore, but that's not a problem. Your opponent is still the defending player, and the damage is dealt by Myr Battlesphere's last-known-information ghost image."

The idea here is that I respond to my own declare attackers step by untaping my myrs, (not taking them out of combat I hope), only to have them re-tap into battlesphere. And then later untap them again via Galvanizer to have defenders.

Can anyone tell me if this would work?
Posted 01 March 2011 at 07:57

yeah that works, and untapping your creatures does not remove them from combat.
Posted 01 March 2011 at 08:59

Thanks Seth, This makes a huge difference in the damage I do from the deck. especially since I run coat of arms and steel overseer, my myr tokens often have a power greater than one and would usually be more useful attacking than being used in myr battlesphere's effect.
Posted 01 March 2011 at 15:38

If you are able to do this and you have 2 [Myr Galvanizer's][/http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=220364]
out, wouldn't this be an endless loop as long as you could pay the 1 mana to untap your myr? if so then you could pump up your [Myr Battlesphere][/http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=209717] more then just once creating a massive ammount of damage done before combat damage is ever delt....

just an idea for you Asceric since I'm sure that you'll have more then 1 mana if you have the Battlesphere out...
Posted 01 March 2011 at 17:35

that doesn't work

2 Galvanizers does let you continuously untap your myrs but you only get to tap creatures once for the sphere, when you declare the attack.
Posted 01 March 2011 at 18:28

Ok, so when you declare attackers the Myr Battlesphere’s ability triggers. (all your attackers tap)

In response you tap the Myr Galvanizer and use his ability, and that goes onto the stack ontop of the battlesphere's ability. they resolve in reverse order untaping all the other Myr. (the ones that were just tapped for attacking) then Myr Battlesphere’s ability as the last on the stack resolves and you can now tap all your Myr includinjg your battlesphere to pump up the battlesphere and do the damage directly to the defending player.

But you can only do that once because after you’ve tapped the myr for the battle sphere’s ability it resolves and thus is not on the stack for you to use the ability a second time..

Is that close to being right or am I just off in my own little world over here…
Posted 01 March 2011 at 21:00

That's exactly it.
Posted 01 March 2011 at 21:13

wow... I was right... That’s astonishing and rather scary at the same time. I’m starting to catch on. LOL :D
Posted 01 March 2011 at 21:25

[QUOTE=LurkerDark]then Myr Battlesphere’s ability as the last on the stack resolves and you can now tap all your Myr including your battlesphere to pump up the battlesphere and do the damage directly to the defending player.
[/QUOTE]

i would like to note that the battlesphere's ability simply raises it's power, it doesn't do direct damage to the opposing player. (just in case that's being misunderstood, maybe you're just using 'directly' in a more general manner rather the specific MTG meaning ;) )
Posted 01 March 2011 at 23:12

[QUOTE=Seras]i would like to note that the battlesphere's ability simply raises it's power, it doesn't do direct damage to the opposing player. (just in case that's being misunderstood, maybe you're just using 'directly' in a more general manner rather the specific MTG meaning ;) )[/QUOTE]

Actually it does do direct damage. And raises its power. Battlesphere is, in fact, that awesome.
Posted 01 March 2011 at 23:14

ya, i went back to re-read it to be sure and noticed my mistake...by the time i deleted my post you had already sniped it!

it's odd because this isn't the first time I forget about the last line of text

my bad :rolleyes:
Posted 01 March 2011 at 23:26

thanks lurker for the idea, but I already tired that once with my friends, and they called me on it. Didn't stop me from using the deck and making it into a power house.

As for the "by that time I'm sure you'll have more than one mana" comment, I play casually with friends, so there isn't much that isn't off limits card wise. So we tend to try and come up with some crazy stuff. For instance, I can usually play a battlesphere turn 4 or 5 with the right conditions (usually involing a cloudpost and glimmerpost and a myr resevoir, sometimes with the new my turbine after I've used myrsmith for a few turns).
Posted 02 March 2011 at 00:15