Discussion Forum

New deck: The Last Sunforger

Hey guys

I've been a fan of Sunforger since it was printed and with some of the new cards printed now I thought I'd give the old equipment another swing

here is what I have so far

http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=155091

all suggestions to make it better are much welcome.

So far it features:

- Stoneforge Mystic equipment toolbox
- Sunforger toolbox with lots of instants to choose from, one for every situation
- Thrun The Last Troll beatdown
- Brass Squire instant speed equip goodies. Should work nicely with Sunforger
- mana acceleration in the form of Cultivate and Birds

currently I'm not sure about the bloodbraid elfs. I'm also not liking the lack of carddraw (the one esper charm is not much). I started out with 4 Absorb and ended up with 1 Absorb and 1 hindering light. Could be a vulnerability. I might have to drive the counterspells up again.

Instead of Bloodbraid elves I'm thinking Kor Duelist (could be nice with the swords) or Kitchen Finks for more life gain and creatures that survive wrath of god. 3xEtched Oracle could provide more card draw and a good body. Vesuvan Shapeshifter could add versitility.

cheers

Seth
Posted 01 March 2011 at 09:51

- I changed Bloodbraid Elf to Azorius Herald for now. Unblockable + Equipment could be nice.
- I dropped Hindering light for a second Absorb
Posted 01 March 2011 at 10:33

Have you thought about adding Kemba as it has a great equipped ability.
Posted 01 March 2011 at 14:51

No I had not :)

sweet, I actually bought a set a few months ago and I haven't given her any attention yet. Thanks man, she's in!
Posted 01 March 2011 at 15:00

Also add a couple of whispersilk cloaks
Posted 01 March 2011 at 15:22

[QUOTE=dannycolledge]Also add a couple of whispersilk cloaks[/QUOTE]

I don't like whispersilk cloak. It's a trap for noobs IMO. Also it gives shroud which doesn't play well with other equipment. I have trolls for shroud, sunforger for protection. It's not perfect but putting in whispersilk cloak isn't going to make anything better.
Posted 01 March 2011 at 15:59

you should put the bloodbraids back in, they're really that good
Posted 01 March 2011 at 20:53

[QUOTE=Seth]I don't like whispersilk cloak. It's a trap for noobs IMO. Also it gives shroud which doesn't play well with other equipment. I have trolls for shroud, sunforger for protection. It's not perfect but putting in whispersilk cloak isn't going to make anything better.[/QUOTE]

I agree it is a trap for noobs if they don't know how to use it. However you can unequip it to add another equipment then just put it back on. Great if you dont have any other equipment in your hand though
Posted 01 March 2011 at 21:13

danny: in order to unequip it I would need a second creature and I don't like counting on that. The unblockable is tempting but the mana you put in costs precious time. Also I feel like I'm already over the maximum limit of equipment in a 60 card deck. The equipments that are there really make a difference. My unblockable currently is either sword protection or loxodon trample. Both will do fine acting like semi unblockable.

Loki: yeah I know but I over use them, so I'm glad they are out.
Posted 02 March 2011 at 07:41

How about Stonehewer Giant for fast equips. Maybe goblin gaveleer you know low drop cool eqip effect.
Posted 03 March 2011 at 22:03

[QUOTE=MomirBiggsSimicFat]How about Stonehewer Giant for fast equips. Maybe goblin gaveleer you know low drop cool eqip effect.[/QUOTE]

stonehewer is nice but not quite as efficient as stoneforge mystic. there's a lot of counterspells flying around where I play. I like Gaveleer. I was also thinking maybe Spikeshot Elder would be nice.

thanks for the suggestions

I just updated the deck with some heavy changes. going to try ohran viper instead of thrun for now
Posted 03 March 2011 at 22:09