Discussion Forum

Question about Sword of Feast and famine w/ double strike.

Okay I saw a really experienced player do it and when I brought it up with someone else they said it didn't work. Here's the situation. The player equipped Sword of Feast and Famine to a Mirran Crusader. He declared Mirran Crusader as attacking, no blockers were declared, and during the damage step he tapped all his remaining lands. The first strike damage hit the player, untapping all his land which he then retapped. The normal combat damage went through which AGAIN, untapped all his lands. He then retapped all of them and played a White sun's Zenith for like 13 or something like that during the damage step. I've heard that priority does not switch between first strike and normal combat damage for you to tap your lands, and I've also read that first strike damage and normal combat damage are in a completely different phase in the damage step. Does this work?
Posted 02 March 2011 at 03:31

[QUOTE]Does this work?[/QUOTE]

No.

[QUOTE]I've heard that priority does not switch between first strike and normal combat damage for you to tap your lands,[/QUOTE]

That is incorrect. Players get priority to cast instants and activate abilities during each step of combat, and -

[QUOTE] and I've also read that first strike damage and normal combat damage are in a completely different phase in the damage step.[/QUOTE]

- the first strike damage step and normal damage step are two different steps. He can tap his lands during each one.

506.1. The combat phase has five steps, which proceed in order: beginning of combat, declare attackers, declare blockers, combat damage, and end of combat. The declare blockers and combat damage steps are skipped if no creatures are declared as attackers or put onto the battlefield attacking (see rule 508.4). There are two combat damage steps if any attacking or blocking creature has first strike (see rule 702.7) or double strike (see rule 702.4).

However, it is the very fact that they are different steps that keeps his plan from working:

500.4. When a step or phase ends, any unused mana left in a player’s mana pool empties. This turn-based action doesn’t use the stack.

The mana he gathers during the first strike damage step will, if unused, vanish at the end of that step. He can't save it through the next step, unless he has something like Upwelling.
Posted 02 March 2011 at 04:03

Do note that since this was a recent change to the rules (M10 i believe), he might just be mistaken, not cheating. Before M10, that would've worked quite well, but it just doesn't fly these days.
Posted 02 March 2011 at 04:17

I see. Thanks a bunch guys, cleared it up quite well.

Oh and no one thought he was cheating, it was just a difference in ruling is all.
Posted 02 March 2011 at 04:24