Discussion Forum

Mill Extraction Deck

Need help making this deck tournament worthy

http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=155512
Posted 02 March 2011 at 13:02

no offense but you can't make this good enough to be tournament worthy. Legacy is to fast and you lack the protection to survive long enough in order to win.
Also in a format full of fetchland I would say archive trap is probably your best mill card and you only have 2.
Posted 03 March 2011 at 08:02

yup, have to agree, mill decks are simply not competitive in a tournament environment.

this has become pretty much absolute with the widespread use of the legendary Eldrazis that have "When X is put into a graveyard from anywhere, its owner shuffles his or her graveyard into his or her library." most ppl will sideboard at least one of those as they pretty much shut down milling as a win condition.

it's still possible to take a few lucky wins but you're gonna be at a severe disadvantage.
Posted 03 March 2011 at 15:11

that's not entirely true. You don't exactly run into many eldrazi when playing legacy. Karakas + Knights of the reliquary are to good an answer to the few decks that do run Emrakul. And Knights are all over the place.

Grindstone+Painter Servant in legacy does well because of this. So mill is still viable but it's always in the form of combo. Both Brain freeze and Grindstone decks are pretty effective. Jace2 ultimate is another viable mill like kill you run into these days.
Posted 03 March 2011 at 15:25

well, do you still follow the tourny scene? how well do milling decks actually do in ranking?
Posted 03 March 2011 at 15:29

I've took out the grindstone and added leyline of the void which gets rid of the threat of eldrazi
Posted 03 March 2011 at 21:32

[QUOTE=dannycolledge]I've took out the grindstone and added leyline of the void which gets rid of the threat of eldrazi[/QUOTE]

doesn't playing rule out playing extirpate and haunting echoes? they make eachother dead cards.
Posted 03 March 2011 at 21:50

[QUOTE=Seras]well, do you still follow the tourny scene? how well do milling decks actually do in ranking?[/QUOTE]

ranking is determined by popularity, high percentage in the field means greater chance of seeing the deck getting top8. Painter stone variants are very much tier 1 decks. solidarity playing brain freeze is gaining in popularity and chances are we'll be seeing more top8's there as well.
What you don't see often is Imperial Painter decks because they are so expensive, but that doesn't mean they aren't out there and they aren't beating the crap out of everything else. I got my ass kicked by such a deck and the guy made second place at that tournament only loosing to another even faster combo deck played by his teammate.

You give Edrazi to much credit. Before they printed there was Gaea's Blessing, that killed mill decks didn't it? Doesn't mean mill wasn't played anymore.

Maybe a way to make this semi competitive is to focus on hand disruption (hymn to Tourach) and graveyard extraction (haunting echoes). combine that with aggro like tombstalker for an alternative win and defense. Also pack sweepers like damnation or pernicious deed so you can kill the fast decks.
Posted 03 March 2011 at 22:03

Try memoricide and more sacrament for eldrazi answer. Thats what I got in my mill side board. Also try Mortivore maybe Dimir Doppelganger. Or Wrexial hes a bad creature in mill.
Posted 21 March 2011 at 05:08