Discussion Forum

mimic vat + venser

If I have acidic slime imprinted on mimic vat and then exile that copy of acidic slime with venser does it return to play and destroy another target or does it stay exiled? Because venser says bring it back at the end step and mimic vat says exile it at the end step.
Posted 03 March 2011 at 00:56

[QUOTE=mumbojumbo213]If I have acidic slime imprinted on mimic vat and then exile that copy of acidic slime with Venser, the Sojourner does it return to play and destroy another target or does it stay exiled? Because venser says bring it back at the end step and mimic vat says exile it at the end step.[/QUOTE]

It does not return.

When tokens show up in any zone other than the battlefield, they immediately cease to exist.

So, no token will ever return from Venser's Liberate effect.

To answer the more basic rules question you had, let's consider the case of Venser "liberating" a creature you got out with Sneak Attack. In this case, you would not sacrifice the creature.

When the end step comes around, the delayed triggered ability set up by Sneak Attack's activated ability will go on the stack, but even if the Vensered creature is back on the battlefield by then, the ability won't recognize that creature as the one it wants sacrificed.

This is because when an object changes zones, it is considered a new object, different than the one it was before, and most effects and abilities lose track of it. The exceptions are abilities that have to track moving cards in order to function, such as Venser's ability and Rancor's ability. Sneak Attack's ability, however, is not such an exception.

So, if it weren't for the tokenness of the creatures the Vat creates, the Vat would work great with Venser. Unfortunately, tokens just aren't stable enough to endure those sorts of dimensional shenanigans.
Posted 03 March 2011 at 02:02

Thanks for clearing that up me. That was a quick response.
Posted 04 March 2011 at 02:59