Discussion Forum

Question about Glissa.

Okay so I constructed a G/B landfall deck to run tomorrow for FNM and there's an interesting combo that I found. Being as how it's a landfall deck, it has plenty of ramp to achieve this combo.

The situation: I have a Glissa, the Traitor and a Wurmcoil Engine on the field. I declare Wurmcoil engine as attacking and it becomes blocked by say...a 1/1 soldier token. If I have a doom blade in hand, is there a way I can wait till after the damage is dealt but before the blocking creature dies to doom blade my wurmcoil? It sounds really dumb but what I was trying to achieve was gain the 6 life from lifelink, kill my creature which spawns two 3/3 tokens, then my opponents creature hits the grave allowing me to return wurmcoil to my hand to re-cast with Glissa's ability.

To my knowledge, it seems possible by doom blading my creature in response to the damage going on the stack to allow for the desired outcome to work.

Is this possible?
Posted 04 March 2011 at 04:14

[QUOTE=Scotty1700]...is there a way I can wait till after the damage is dealt but before the blocking creature dies to doom blade my wurmcoil?

...To my knowledge, it seems possible by doom blading my creature in response to the damage going on the stack to allow for the desired outcome to work.

Is this possible?[/QUOTE]

nope, damage does not use the stack.
Posted 04 March 2011 at 16:55

Overall, it just isn't feasible. Honestly though, you have a Wurmcoil Engine in play. Save the Doom Blade and see if your opponent can deal with it. If he can, it's probably in the graveyard, which means your Doom Blade also reads 'rebuy target wurmcoil'. Wurmcoil Engine's plenty strong by his lonesome.
Posted 04 March 2011 at 22:48

Nope, asked a judge about it today. You can respond to Glissa's triggered ability going on the stack. This allows me to gain 6 life, get two wurmcoil tokens, and allow for a recast of Wurmcoil. Also, I'd only do it if the doom blade wasn't gonna do me any good or if I had either two of them in hand or one plus a Go for the Throat. It's more of a last ditch effort of sorts to just spam more creatures if needed.
Posted 05 March 2011 at 07:59

[QUOTE=Scotty1700]Nope, asked a judge about it today. You can respond to Glissa's triggered ability going on the stack. This allows me to gain 6 life, get two wurmcoil tokens, and allow for a recast of Wurmcoil.[/QUOTE]

I thought of this, too, but the problem with is that if a spell/ability targets, that target is chosen as it is put on the stack.

This means that when the 1/1 dies, you have to choose the target of Glissa's Reconstruction ability right then. At that point, you have not yet had a chance to respond to Glissa's ability with a Doom Blade, and the Wurmcoil Engine is still on the battlefield.

So, the above responses were correct. You cannot work it the way you want to.

Yes, you can respond to Glissa's ability triggering, but by then the target of that ability is long since chosen, and it couldn't have been the Wurmcoil Engine.
Posted 06 March 2011 at 03:32