Discussion Forum

Legendary Creature Limit

So I was just curious about how many legendary creatures you can have in a deck. I haven't seen any rules about it and my opinion is that you can only have one. Thanks for any input.
Posted 04 March 2011 at 19:58

there's no limit on how many legendary creatures you can have and you can have up to 4 copies of each legendary creature card in your deck.
Posted 04 March 2011 at 20:37

[QUOTE=WadeB]So I was just curious about how many legendary creatures you can have in a deck. I haven't seen any rules about it and my opinion is that you can only have one. Thanks for any input.[/QUOTE]

You can only have one on the battlefield. The reason for this is that if there are two are more legendary permanents with the same name, they all die.

You can have up to four copies of such a card in your deck, though, just like most cards.

The rules:

100.2a In constructed play (a way of playing in which each player creates his or her own deck ahead of time), each deck must contain at least sixty cards. A constructed deck may contain any number of basic land cards and no more than four of any card with a particular English name other than basic land cards.

704.5k If two or more legendary permanents with the same name are on the battlefield, all are put into their owners’ graveyards. This is called the “legend rule.” If only one of those permanents is legendary, this rule doesn’t apply.
Posted 05 March 2011 at 00:59

[QUOTE=Aneximines]You can only have one on the battlefield. The reason for this is that if there are two are more legendary permanents with the same name, they all die.

You can have up to four copies of such a card in your deck, though, just like most cards.

The rules:

100.2a In constructed play (a way of playing in which each player creates his or her own deck ahead of time), each deck must contain at least sixty cards. A constructed deck may contain any number of basic land cards and no more than four of any card with a particular English name other than basic land cards.

704.5k If two or more legendary permanents with the same name are on the battlefield, all are put into their owners’ graveyards. This is called the “legend rule.” If only one of those permanents is legendary, this rule doesn’t apply.[/QUOTE]
Ok so I understand that but just so I understand completely, I can't have two or more of the same legendary creatures on the feild. But I could have two completely different legendary creatures on the battlefield at the same time, correct?
Posted 05 March 2011 at 01:48

If it has the adjective "Legendary" then only 1 copy with that specific "card name" can be on the battlefield at any given time. That is unless something alters that rule, such as Mirror Gallery or the creature Brothers Yamazaki from Kamigawa block. All other rules remain the same.
Posted 05 March 2011 at 01:58

[QUOTE=WadeB]I could have two completely different legendary creatures on the battlefield at the same time, correct?[/QUOTE]

Yes, that's right. So long as the names don't match, the 'legend rule' won't touch them.

For example, Sakashima the Impostor can safely copy a legendary creature because he retains his name.
Posted 05 March 2011 at 17:44