Discussion Forum

Question about Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas

Hi All,

Ok, my question is around the new Tezz. His 2nd ability, as you all know, says "Target artifact becomes a 5/5 artifact creature".

So, does that mean the artifact still has it's original properties or is it just a 5/5 creature?

For example - I have Everflowing Chalice on the battlefield kicked twice. I activate the 2nd ability and make it a 5/5 creature. Can I still tap the Chalice for 2 mana?

Thanks for the help!

Mike
Posted 07 March 2011 at 12:14

it becomes a 5/5 creature in addition to what it already is. so you can still tap it for mana.
Posted 07 March 2011 at 13:11

Thanks for the clarification!

Mike
Posted 07 March 2011 at 13:43

So, along the same lines....

If I have an Inkmoth Nexus on the battlefiled, pay 1 and turn it into a 1/1 flier with infect, then hit it with Tezz's 2nd ability it would become a 5/5 flier with infect, correct?

Mike
Posted 08 March 2011 at 11:22

yes that's correct
Posted 08 March 2011 at 12:24

That is one of the upsides with this ability: the artifact keeps its original abilities. However, this can also be bad in the case of a doom blade, etc. that can get rid of your 5/5 Everflowing Chalice kicked twice.
Posted 08 March 2011 at 15:19

Yeah, I agree. I have been the victim of that little trick, actually!

Mike
Posted 09 March 2011 at 13:17

[QUOTE=Danokozmo]That is one of the upsides with this ability: the artifact keeps its original abilities. However, this can also be bad in the case of a doom blade, etc. that can get rid of your 5/5 Everflowing Chalice kicked twice.[/QUOTE]

So can disenchant, I fail to see your point. There is always something that is good against something else. Magic is about playing threats until your opponent runs out of options to counter them. If you can manage that you win. Looking at an already overpowered ability like the new Tezzerets second ability and saying it has downsides is rediculous. Tezz is the new Jace, in the correct deck he is just as powerful.
Posted 09 March 2011 at 13:59

I was just pointing out that a creature is easier to get rid of than an artifact. More people carry creature removal than they do artifact/enchantment removal. Although i make a point to have disenchants and naturalizes in my green/white decks, as well as reprisals and fogs.
Posted 09 March 2011 at 14:49

it's a very valid point that you're much more likely to encounter creature removal than artifact or enchantment removal, generally speaking.

and when turning artifacts or enchants into creatures, that's a risk you have to consider.
Posted 09 March 2011 at 17:38

true but it's more complex then that, you force your opponent to throw everything he's got at your 5/5 while tezz stays alive and generates card advantage. Loosing a land, in this paticular situation might not be beneficial but in case of a minor artifact loosing it usually doesn't matter as long as it drains your opponent of his solutions while you improve your board situation and get closer to winning.
it's simular to casting thoughtseize, thoughtseize is a one for one trade but it's not a fair trade. trading a chalice with what might be the only removal your opponent is holding can steal the game, just like toughtseize can win the game by depriving an opponent of what he needs most to survive.
Posted 09 March 2011 at 22:29