Discussion Forum

I haz another question.

Okay this one I've got absolutely no clue on. If I were to cast Consuming Vapors targeting my opponent of course, could I target the creature they chose to sacrifice with Virulent Wound? I ask this because Consuming Vapors is a sorcery and Virulent Wound is an instant. Does it have the speed to put the -1/-1 counter on the creatures, have them sacrifice it, then they get a poison counter?

Consuming Vapors

Virulent Wound

If not, I was going to just target a low-priority creature with Virulent wound and thus making my opponent choose between a higher value target or the lower value one at the cost of taking a poison.
Posted 08 March 2011 at 22:38

You definitely can do that. Just be aware that you will be gaining one less life than normal.

As some people say: the player who can manipulate the stack better, wins the duel.
Posted 08 March 2011 at 23:02

You can't do that and the previous reply is incorrect

This is how it works:

- you cast Consuming Vapors and select your target (your opponent).
- Now you have a choice before passing on priority, you either cast Virulent Wound in response to Consuming Vapors and then pass priority or you don't cast it and just pass priority. At the time you are allowed to cast Virulent Wound you do not know which creature your opponent will sacrifice yet (unless he only has one and the choice is obvious).
- Once you pass priority your opponent has the choice of either casting an instant or playing an ability of his own in response or let whatever is on the stack resolve passing priority inbetween each resolving spell.

Anyway, in the most simple scenario, lets say he has 2 creatures it will be like this:

- Player A casts Consuming Vapors and passes priority
- Player B passes and lets Consuming Vapors resolve, at this point Player A is not allowed to play anything and Consuming Vapors will resolve unhindered. Player B selects one of his creatures and it dies to Vapors.

Consuming Vapors does not target a creature and as such you cannot respond to the selection of the creature that dies.
Posted 09 March 2011 at 08:37

Fair enough, I'll just have to do my other plan (found at the end of the OP).
Posted 09 March 2011 at 19:25