Discussion Forum

Force of Savagery

Quick question; would Force of Savagery die as you cast it without something on the field like Coat of Arms, or Incandescent Soulstoke?
Posted 09 March 2011 at 15:09

yes it dies
Posted 09 March 2011 at 15:24

Cheers. =p
Posted 09 March 2011 at 15:44

Throw a Leyline of Vitality on the field and it'll live.

And...not to be a smartass but it doesn't "die". I believe a creature with a toughness of 0 or less is PUT into the graveyard....if it were to "die" one might be tempted to target "Withstand Death" on it or something...
Posted 09 March 2011 at 23:57

[QUOTE=Scotty1700]And...not to be a smartass but it doesn't "die". I believe a creature with a toughness of 0 or less is PUT into the graveyard....if it were to "die" one might be tempted to target "Withstand Death" on it or something...[/QUOTE]

The term "dying" is no official game term in magic, what you mean is being destroyed. Creatures with toughness 0 will always go to the graveyard even if they are indistructable so withstand death would have no effect.

A question of my own: Can the active player react to Force of Savagery entering the Battlefield? Can you for instance sacrifice it to a card like Brion Stoutarm before state based effects are checked and the card goes to the yard all on its own.
Posted 10 March 2011 at 07:45

I believe the state check happens before priority.

so as soon as the spell resolves, the state is checked, then any triggered effects goes on the stack THEN the active player can respond or pass priority.

[QUOTE]420.3. Whenever a player would get priority (see rule 408, “Timing of Spells and Abilities”), the game checks for any of the listed conditions for state-based effects.[/QUOTE]
Posted 10 March 2011 at 15:00

[QUOTE=Seth]The term "dying" is no official game term in magic, what you mean is being destroyed. Creatures with toughness 0 will always go to the graveyard even if they are indistructable so withstand death would have no effect.[/QUOTE]

Ah yes, but of course. I just use "dying" and "destroying" interchangeably...a bad habit I suppose but oh well :p
Posted 10 March 2011 at 22:06