Discussion Forum

Burn

This is my Vintage burn looking fo comments and advice. It's not undefeated around my place but puts down most challengers like burn should. IN FLAMES!!!!!! LOL. Any ideas and comments appreciated. Thanks.

Deck link: http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=155438
Posted 14 March 2011 at 12:26

i would add 2-3 mountains

Galvanoth would go great in here instead of some of the elementals

Fire Servant too.

Browbeat is awesome, I can't believe I never knew about it till now =)

oh and drop Rift Bolt, that's pretty crappy card...i say replace them with Red Sun's Zenith (or equivalent) or just remove them to drop your deck to 60 even.
Posted 14 March 2011 at 19:52

[QUOTE=Seras]oh and drop Rift Bolt, that's pretty crappy card...i say replace them with Red Sun's Zenith (or equivalent) or just remove them to drop your deck to 60 even.[/QUOTE]

come again? Rift Bolt is one of the best bolt effects to date. Lightning Bolt is the best, then Chain Lightning then Rift Bolt. That's the base for a burn deck. A burn deck should win before any of the cards you mentioned are even playable because the longer it takes to win the less chance you have of actually winning with a mono red deck. Speed is everything.

Red Sun's Zenith is crap, we've had Disintegrate for ages and no one played it, now they reprint it with a shuffle effect and suddenly it's supposed to be good?
Posted 15 March 2011 at 07:50

are you're talking specifically about competitive legacy/vintage meta?

because....you can safely assume any comment i ever make on this site is NOT with that in mind.

is there an unmentioned theme that this Eternal section is only for competitive?

----

the cards i mentioned are what allows burn decks to work in multiplayer games and cards like disintegrate(or red sun's) are good because they give you more options and a place to throw unused mana at.
Posted 15 March 2011 at 13:42

Regardless of format Red is commenly regarded as the worst multiplayer color in the game. I love a card like Galvanoth in multiplayer, it's nuts, but clearly I would not play it in mono red. A multiplayer deck demands multiple colors and red is last on the list. For multiplayer red is a nice dip color and then a finisher like Red Sun's Zenith is playable but black would be a better pick and it has simular finishers (Profane Command and the likes).

That said the deck posted above clearly tries to be fast.
Posted 15 March 2011 at 14:26

clearly? Djinn Illuminatus and Valakut are not fast cards.

neither is Chandra Ablaze.
Posted 15 March 2011 at 14:31

[QUOTE=Seras]clearly? Djinn Illuminatus and Valakut are not fast cards.

neither is Chandra Ablaze.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that's why I said it tries to be fast and not it is fast :)

It's a deck that is mostly fast + a few midgame options that make it more casual in nature but like you said the mana base doesn't support these slower cards and the rest of the deck doesn't really cover the gab between fast and slow.
Posted 15 March 2011 at 14:41

right, so my suggestions were incremental improvements to retain the current feel/pace he has, just with better cards.

i stand by my earlier statement that rift bolt is utter junk tho :P
Posted 15 March 2011 at 14:51

Rift bolt is a lightning bolt with a 1 turn delay, what's not to like. You can play 9 lightning bolts in a deck thanks to rift bolt. So unless you say lightning bolt is crap you can't say rift bolt is crap.

Your suggestions make it a totally different type of deck.
Posted 15 March 2011 at 15:10

[QUOTE=Seth]Rift bolt is a lightning bolt with a 1 turn delay, what's not to like. You can play 9 lightning bolts in a deck thanks to rift bolt. So unless you say lightning bolt is crap you can't say rift bolt is crap.

Your suggestions make it a totally different type of deck.[/QUOTE]

9 lightning bolts? Shard Volley would make 12 :P
Posted 15 March 2011 at 15:12

[QUOTE=Seth]So unless you say lightning bolt is crap you can't say rift bolt is crap.[/QUOTE]

that makes no sense.

it's the same effect for a higher cost(either in mana or time)...obviously one of them is better, therefor i can easily say one is bad without having to say the other one is bad as well.

also, casting it with suspend turns it into a sorcery, functionally speaking, further lowering it's overall value.
Posted 15 March 2011 at 15:23

most players prefer fireblast over Shard Volley and inluding both is a little much.

if you want to push the deck to midgame I would go with Hostility, some form of carddraw (thinking artifacts) and maybe some mana acceleration also in the form of artifacts.
Posted 15 March 2011 at 16:19

Dude, the burn deck! It's 40 burn spells, 20 mountains, go! Shard Volley and Fireblast both go in that deck for sure! It's kind of a combo deck when you think about it.
Posted 15 March 2011 at 16:32

I have djinn for late game/ life gain. Cause he allows me to bust ass with 1 low drop burn. nothin like 7 or 8 lightning bolts to stop ur game cold..... well hot LOL cheesy yes but still funny.
Posted 17 March 2011 at 15:32

[QUOTE=MomirBiggsSimicFat]I have djinn for late game/ life gain. Cause he allows me to bust ass with 1 low drop burn. nothin like 7 or 8 lightning bolts to stop ur game cold..... well hot LOL cheesy yes but still funny.[/QUOTE]

djinn is an awesome card but with 19 land it's just not a realistic play. if you could change the deck so you can play it lets say turn 5 then we're talking.
Posted 17 March 2011 at 17:54

The only real time he gets played is when I got out Koth.
Posted 18 March 2011 at 12:40

[QUOTE=MomirBiggsSimicFat]The only real time he gets played is when I got out Koth.[/QUOTE]

I see, i missed that. Nice.
Posted 18 March 2011 at 17:15