Discussion Forum

Burn

Hey guys

I didn't want to spam MomirBiggsSimicFat thread with my own brew but his post and the replies it got did inspire me. I played burn for a long time and now I feel like playing it again.

The brew

4 Rift Bolt
4 Chain Lightning
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Lava Spike
4 Shard Volley
4 Fireblast

4 Lotus Petal

4 Kiln Fiend
4 Keldon Marauders
4 Grim Lavamancer

4 Arid Mesa
3 Bloodstained Mire
13 Mountain

The goal is to have consistent turn 4 kills (legacy legal). Without testing I think playing 4xFireblast + 4xShard Volley is way to risky but NightLoki seemed to think it is playable so I want to try it. Any suggestions?

cheers

seth
Posted 16 March 2011 at 08:48

I hate to say it, but I think ol' Grim's too slow for this deck. Needs more burn, less dudes, though I think if you move Kiln Fiend to the board you can bring it in against the combo decks to speed up your clock. I can't remember all the efficient burn off the top of my head right now.
Posted 16 March 2011 at 20:39

In my opinion Grim Lavamancer is one of the best cards in the deck. As for speed a deck like this will never be a tier 1 legacy deck, burn is simply not good enough to compete with what's in the field. I'm looking at this build as being a casual deck.

Using Kiln Fiend against combo is brilliant though. A Turn 1 Kiln Fiend (with the help of Petal) against Tendrils or High Tide might actually stand a chance and kill by turn 3. That said it's a best case scenario and who wins tournaments based on best case scenarios :)

It's a fun deck to play though. And if you have card suggestions fire away!

If I wasn't packing so much spells that kill my own land I would play like 6 Mountains and 12 fetch and reduce the deck to 18 land. After a few tests I think I actually prefer Shard Volley over Fireblast although in theory Fireblast is the ultimate finisher in this type of deck.
Posted 17 March 2011 at 08:20