Discussion Forum

Grindstone+Painter's servant

So I was playing this last night against a friend and I haven't played in ages and was confused.. if I have a painter's servant out and make my opponets entire deck a certain color (let's use blue for this example) then use grindstone, is that an instant win no matter what cards come up? Even if land cards come up, are they technically "blue"?
Posted 16 March 2011 at 18:02

[QUOTE=ctriana921]So I was playing this last night against a friend and I haven't played in ages and was confused.. if I have a painter's servant out and make my opponets entire deck a certain color (let's use blue for this example) then use grindstone, is that an instant win no matter what cards come up? Even if land cards come up, are they technically "blue"?[/QUOTE]

I believe that no matter what card it hits it still gets sent to the graveyard, even something that shuffles in as the grindclock hasn't resolved for say..an eldrazi to trigger and shuffle your graveyard in. Oh, and last I checked lands were "cards not in play" so yes, they ARE the chosen color and will get milled.

Painter's Servant
Posted 16 March 2011 at 18:26

you mill his entire deck in one go, it's a combo that's quite popular in legacy tournament play.

As for the Eldrazi thing. You do not loose the game if you have no cards in your library. You loose the game if you are forced to draw a card and you can't because you have no cards left in your library. The difference is that when the Eldrazi effect resolves after grindstone is done milling your graveyard is shuffled back into your library and you since you didn't loose the game it's like nothing ever happened.
Posted 16 March 2011 at 19:30

[QUOTE=Seth]you mill his entire deck in one go, it's a combo that's quite popular in legacy tournament play.

As for the Eldrazi thing. You do not loose the game if you have no cards in your library. You loose the game if you are forced to draw a card and you can't because you have no cards left in your library. The difference is that when the Eldrazi effect resolves after grindstone is done milling your graveyard is shuffled back into your library and you since you didn't loose the game it's like nothing ever happened.[/QUOTE]

Oooh okay. I thought it was a game-loss if you were to mill like 50 cards when you only had a 49 card library. It's actually the draw that kills you, okay.
Posted 16 March 2011 at 19:39