Discussion Forum

EDH Help

I just built the list for my first EDH deck, and I'm sure if any of you remember your first.. it was an intimidating task! I'm not going to lie, a lot of the cards were only loosely considered based on theme, where only a few have a sincere amount of thought put into their selection (or unseen in some cases, for their exclusion)

http://mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=161410

I'd appreciate any help in building this deck up, as it is my first.. I don't expect it to be competitive, just playable (which is a foreign concept to me atm, due to inexperience in the format). There's only a small community of EDH players locally atm, but I'm trying to be proactive about it and generate more involvement. That being said, I don't want to chase after any overly expensive cards, this is (as said in the deck description) built from cards I own or wouldn't mind trading for / buying for other decks to use as well. Still though, feel free to suggest anything and everything :) I'm only saying this to preempt when somebody suggests I get a Vengevine, they know why I said "No" :P
Posted 17 March 2011 at 04:02

Your mana curve is so low I would actually advice on playing Dark Confidant, also play Sensei's Divining Top (yes it's an overpriced uncommon but it's also the best card in any EDH deck and the best investment in the deck you can make.)

If this is your first EDH I suggest you play more land. I always play 40% land even in green decks that pack a lot of land acceleration. Even with your mana curve 31 is very low.

The deck looks ok so far, it's a good first build. You'll learn where it lacks by playing. Everyone I've met that tried EDH for the first time got addicted right there and then and now claim it's their favourite format. Building an EDH community is easy, it's just a better form of magic.

PS: I moved your post to the correct forum section. Hope you don't mind
Posted 17 March 2011 at 08:39

Holy hobgoblins, Batman! That's a $17 uncommon! I didn't know there was an uncommon worth as much as the tier 1 fetch lands O.O Dark Confidant I like, that's definitely going in. It's Dark Tutelage on a stick, which makes it easier for me to get rid of if needed.

I thought my land count was a bit low, but then I didn't quite know where to adjust it to without going overboard. 40% seems a bit high to me from a probability and statistics standpoint. I was thinking of adding 3 more lands at most (Verdant Catacombs, Bayou, and Gaea's Cradle) but even then only if EDH picks up in popularity and I can justify the expenses. But I'll try playing between 34% and 40% and see how it all works out.

I'm really hoping with the June release of Commander, the format will pick up around here. I think for the time being it's a bit too different and intimidating for people to want to try.

Thanks for the comments ^-^ Glad to hear I'm on the right track :)
Posted 17 March 2011 at 18:18

I just finished my first EDH deck, and it's not Glissa. Just using some cards I have that haven't found their way into a deck because they're one-of's (lord knows why, some of them are too good to just sit in my binder).

http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=162602

Take a look if you would and let me know what you think :)

I'm also going to start working on a Brigid, Hero of Kinsbaile EDH deck (too many trades for Glissa atm, I think I can build Brigid with minimal trades) so that way I have a pair of decks, in case my friends don't want to build for a format that hasn't caught on yet I'll still be able to provide a deck and play (and hopefully get them addicted :P)
Posted 21 March 2011 at 12:05