Discussion Forum

Deck Publication Tickets

I just had an interesting thought to generate more community involvement and feedback on published decks.

The idea is to restrict how many decks a user can publish. Users can create decks freely, but cannot publish them unless they expend a number "publication tickets" (I'm thinking 3 tickets to publish a deck). Publication tickets can be acquired by commenting on another user's deck, to a maximum of one ticket per deck.

What this would do is limit the amount of new decks arriving on the "New Decks" list, allowing decks a greater chance to receive comments, while simultaneously requiring users to leave a comment on three unique decks before being allowed to publish one themselves.

Dunno if it's that great of an idea, or if that'd be the way to implement it without being too restrictive for users.. but as I said, just an interesting idea I wanted to share

:)
Posted 18 March 2011 at 18:39

i see that resulting in even more useless "this deck is nice check out my decks!" type comments.
Posted 21 March 2011 at 14:28

It could, but a boy can dream, can't he!?!? :P

I'd argue against that though, that it would just as quickly foster a belief that "I earned this deck by contributing to the community, this putz wants a free ride without contributing himself?" Or maybe I'm taking this semester of psychology and sociology too seriously XD

In truth, I'm iffy about the idea myself, if only because I'm sure that's not exactly how to to implement it (also, I don't like proposing ideas that pose an increased workload for the devs unless they're on board with it as well). Still, I thought it was a unique social control to foster more relevant community involvement and encourage more universal feedback. Just a random thought that passed through my mind while building a deck, and thought it'd be worth mentioning :)
Posted 22 March 2011 at 02:25

It's deffinately worth thinking about... I've had similar ideas to this one, using a user's contributions to "weight" their actions but this sort of thing all comes down to the same thing... what makes a good contribution?

We've been running a "reputation system" in the background for quite a while now (nothing at all on the site is effected by it) just to see what would happen, maybe it's time I dug out this data and had a look at it to see if it could be used for anything.
Posted 22 March 2011 at 09:15