Discussion Forum

Can someone clear up the whole "counters" thing

I'm a new player and for some reason i just do not understand what the counters do, how they are used, when they're used, etc etc.

All i know is that poison counters when totaled to 10 makes the opponent lose the game.

If someone can clear this up, I'm sure i'll be able to start building decks around some of these cards

Shanks!:D
Posted 22 March 2011 at 02:10

counters = markers. this means that you put a marker (preferably a dice on top of the card) to "count" whatever the card is counting. the latest counter is "charge counters" (see Lux Cannon, Spheres of the sun, the magnets etc.) lets take a look at lux cannon. when it comes into play, it does not have and charge counters on it. but you can tap it to add a charge counter. if you get 3 charge counters on it, you can remove the charge counters (3) and tap it to destroy a permanent. then when you untap it, you can put a counter again. (the flavor is that a cannon is charging for the first BOOM, then reloading or recharging for the second BOOM). another good example is everflowing chalice. if you notice, the CC of this artifact is 0. but you can kick it to get charge counters. so lets say you kicked it for 6mana. then you get 3 charge counters and the chalice can produce 3 colorless mana. if you kicked it for 2mana then you get 1 charge counter and it can produce 1 mana only. it is very versatile that you can decide how many mana it can produce for the situation. proliferate is a great way to speed up counters on cards. lets say you only have 1 charge counter on the chalice. then you activate contagion engine in the later part of the game. the chalice, if you chose, can get 2 extra counters on it. normally you put counters on a card only at the time it was cast but proliferate can add another counter on the card.
Posted 22 March 2011 at 04:21

ahhh! thank you so much!, i've been avoiding cards with counters involved when i make decks just because i never really understood it....thanks:D
Posted 22 March 2011 at 19:08