Discussion Forum

Bitter ordeal

Ok now I am trying to make a bitter ordeal deck and people are telling me it does not work! IDK I am trying to run Bitter ordeal+ Flourishing defenses+ Blowfly Infestation combo. people are saying the tokens don't work with the Bitter ordeal. Do you guys mind if you put it in technical and Layman terms please? If it does or does not work please point me to some very good decks that use Bitter Ordeal perfectly.
I appreciate your help!!! :)
Posted 22 March 2011 at 02:47

i think it will work. According to the rulebook:

110.5. Some effects put tokens onto the battlefield. A token is a marker used to represent any permanent that isn’t represented by a card.

110.5f A token that’s phased out, or that’s in a zone other than the battlefield, ceases to exist. This is a state-based action; see rule 704. (Note that if a token changes zones, applicable triggered abilities will trigger before the token ceases to exist.)

this means that a: tokens are still considered permanents but is not represented by a card and b: tokens still enter other zones (thus triggering abilities) but ceases to exist once state-based action is checked. i think your combo goes like this: you put a -1/-1 counter on a creature w/ the enchantments out, sac the creature to trigger the blowfly to put a counter on the elf thus making another elf and killing the 1st elf triggering the blowfly to put a counter on the 2nd elf thus making another elf and killing the 2nd elf triggering the blowfly to put a counter on the 3rd...etc. then when you get to 60 cast bitter ordeal to exile 60 cards off of your opponents library = win.
Posted 22 March 2011 at 04:46

IDK since Bitter Ordeal says Gravestorm (When you cast this spell, copy it for each permanent put into a graveyard this turn. You may choose new targets for the copies.) I am just worried about copy it for each permanent put into a graveyard. I think it works like this, all of the tokens hit the graveyard, then they are RFGed/ceases to exist automatically. Or it does not work at all like this, when ever a token leaves play it is RFGed/ceases to exist automatically so it does not hit the graveyard at all. IDK yes they are permanents but do they hit the graveyard in favor of Bitter Ordeal.
If this does not work or does can you guys please show me some decks that use Bitter Ordeal very well?
Posted 22 March 2011 at 14:00

yes, this does work out tho to get started you'll need a creature out and a way to put a -1/-1 counter on it and to then kill it.
Posted 22 March 2011 at 14:24

cool thanks for the help!!!
Posted 22 March 2011 at 20:24

bitter ordeal does not check how many permanents there are in your graveyard. it checks how many permanents enter the graveyard. so the tokens that ENTER the graveyard counts to the ordeal. it does not matter if the token disappears or not. just make sure to count how many tokens enter the graveyard so that you can get the right number of copies for the ordeal
Posted 23 March 2011 at 04:14