Discussion Forum

Trample rules

ok I have rarely had to deal with a creature with trample when I duel. I have heard trample works on many situations. EX 1. 50/50 trampler beats face on your stuffy doll, 1 damage to stuffy the rest to you 2. 30/30 trampler laughs at Progenitus he punches through Progenitus and squishes you for 20 3. 20/20 trampler kicks Cho-Manno, Revolutionary in the groin and hits you for 18 3. 60/60 trampler becomes confused when Vedalken Mastermind blinks out to your hand and 60 damage comes right at you.
If you can tell me when trample does not work in some situations.
Posted 22 March 2011 at 03:23

those are all correct.

An attacking creature with trample assigns damage equal to it's blocker(s) toughness and anything over that is dealt to the defending player.
Posted 22 March 2011 at 14:03

as far as i know trample is very straight forward and one of the oldest abilities in magic, so it has no real technicalities, just swing for the win
Posted 22 March 2011 at 15:38

thanks you guys are really helpful!!!!
Posted 22 March 2011 at 20:26

If its cool I got a question about trample to. Let me know wouldnt wanna make anyone mad.
Posted 24 March 2011 at 06:03

Obviously we can't answer your question Momir, you're just weird.

But seriously, go ahead :P.
Posted 24 March 2011 at 07:10

If I have a creature w/ trample & you block/sack do you take damage, or does it negate the damage so to speak.
Posted 24 March 2011 at 16:26

the creature with trample will deal damage to the player minus the toughness of the sacrificed blocker, just as if it was still in play.
Posted 24 March 2011 at 16:37

Actually the creature with trample will deal full damage. Since the blocker isn't there, there's no toughness to subtract from. This is one of those little cases that doesn't use Last Known Information.
Posted 24 March 2011 at 18:07

I have a specific case I'm curious about if you guys could help me out. Say I have a Ball Lightning (6/1 trample, unaffected by summoning sickness). Then I attack my opponent and he blocks with a 1/1 (no first strike). What are the consequences?
Posted 25 March 2011 at 17:45

both creatures die and the defending player takes 5 damage.
Posted 25 March 2011 at 17:57

appreciate the help
Posted 25 March 2011 at 18:14

Sorry, didn't think of this before, but say the Ball Lightning is blocked by multiple creatures. Does the damage carry over to them after Ball Lightning is dead or does it stop at the second because there's no damage for the second blocker to deal out?
Posted 25 March 2011 at 18:21

If I’m not mistaken what happens is that the trample can’t go over the first creature to the player because there’s a second creature waiting there to block him. So let’s say your attacking with your Ball Lightning, and you are blocked by 2 1/1’s and a 2/2. Since the creature the creature has trample and power over the first creature’s toughness it slams him for one and then moves onto the next, slamming him for one and then onto the next slamming him for two, then finally hitting the play for 2 point of damage. Of course you can do the damage in whatever order you would like to with the left over damage going to the player. :eek:
Posted 25 March 2011 at 18:43

If a creature with Trample is blocked by a creature that has taken damage by a spell and the creature’s damage is enough to kill the creature how much if anything goes through?

For example: a 3/3 trample is attacking. He’s blocked by a 2/5 defender wall. As soon as the wall is declared as a blocker, I lightning bolt it for 3 damage. Now normal combat takes place and my creature does 3 damage to it putting the total damage up to 6. Does one point go over to the player?
Posted 25 March 2011 at 19:26

As far as I know the damage will go over because it is trample damage.
Posted 25 March 2011 at 20:09

The first strike damage is dealt with first. So 1/1 first strike wins.
Posted 26 March 2011 at 03:48

The damage will definitely go over, as trample says you only have to mark lethal damage on the defending creature to trample over. Since the creature has 3 damage marked already from lightning bolt, you only need two to mark it as lethal.
Posted 27 March 2011 at 21:40

Lol, this trample question has been asked over and over, one of those who asked is yours truly. BUt hey, we are all lazy to use the "search function" after all. XD

Ok here goes, basically u ned to knw

1) If multiple creature blocks, u need to assign dmg to all of em, till lethal, b4 assigning the rest to the player

2) you can trample over protected creture. Eg: Putrefax can trample over mirran crusader, but the crusader wont die

3) INdestructable does not prevent trample.

4) the trample dmg is combat dmg (this, i am nt really sure, but i asked the guys b4 and this was the answer)

there you go, enjoy!
Posted 28 March 2011 at 05:13