Discussion Forum

Please help me...

Hi everyone...
This is my first post and I´m here to ask you guys for some help...
I´ve just started playing with my friends and they´re much more experienced then me...I´m using an average reanimator deck and a tribal faerie deck...
They´re not bad, but my friend´s are much better...
So I ask you guys a way to stop (and defeat) land destroy and control decks...

Any thing would be welcome... It doesn´t matter the kind of deck... And spending some money isn´t a problem...
I just want to defeat them...

Ah, sometimes we play some multiplayer games... So, the deck should be able to stand this situation to...
A deck full of counterspells and stuff like that or even a LD type deck would be welcome... Maybe a new reanimator, since I already own some nice cards, like Akroma, Iona, Reya...

btw: all cards are allowed in my group... Even the old ones... (When I say all, I mean ALL... Even Dark Ritual, and stuff like that...)
So, I think there are not many limits to what you guys can do...

What do you guys think?
Posted 23 March 2011 at 01:26

breaking and/or playing control decks is a matter of skill and experience. If these guys are good just buying a deck isn't going to change much for you, loosing until you understand why you loose and change that will. Be happy you have experienced players to play against, it's the best way to become good yourself.

Now in general the way to attack control (LD is control as well) is to be faster then they are. Control decks need to build up their land base before they can take over the game and land destruct decks want to keep your land so low you can't play anything. The best example of a deck that beats both strategies because it is so fast is goblins, this is a link to a mono red version. It's a deck that can kill as of turn 3 and can be a control deck itself by disrupting an opponents land base.

That said, aggro decks like the one I linked to above are the absolute worst multiplayer decks. Aggro and multiplayer don't mix. Usually multiplayer decks are bad 1 on 1 decks and vice versa. It's a different format that demands different deck building.

Goblins is a great deck to learn how to play though. It's relatively cheap compared to other tournament worthy legacy decks and it's been the best at what it does for years. If you want to buy these cards and you play casual magic you can drop the wastelands and rishadan ports from the deck and replace them with mountains. That will cut the price in half but make the deck less good in a competitive environment.

hope that helped

Seth
Posted 23 March 2011 at 07:52

ps: when you play casual you don't need the sideboard either and the fetchand isn't strictly needed. The fetchland (wooded foothills and bloodstained mire) can be replaced by Arid Mesa and scalding tarn which are cheaper and do the same in a mono red deck. You should buy on ebay, you'll get better prices then in a store.
Posted 23 March 2011 at 08:02

Try blue/white Merfolk. Merfolk can be aggro as hell counterspells and IMPORTANT Sygg Rive Guide cause he can give your Merfolk protection. Plus white has protection out the butt. It's a good way to give em' the finger. So check out some decks here and give it a go. Plus remember key is open mana for protection effects. Being a prick is ok against control.
Posted 23 March 2011 at 13:43

well ...faeries are one of the best control decks for 1-on-1. so post the deck and we can help you improve it.

but ya, you'll definitely need separate decks for multi player..out of the 14 decks i currently play there's only 2 that do well in both duels and multi player.
Posted 23 March 2011 at 15:40

k, i´ll soon post my faerie deck so you guys can help me improve it...
and i´ll also post my reanimator deck...
i think it´s a good deck, but it can be improved... but i think i´ll get faeries for 1 on 1 and reanimator for multiplayer games...

what do you guys think?
Posted 24 March 2011 at 03:47

I´m sorry for taking too long...
As I told you, here´s my reanimator...

Feel free to say anything you want about it...

So, here we go:

It´s a good deck if I have enough time to play my spells and so...
So...
If you have some advices, some changes, or something like that, please, go ahead and say...

Creatures:
3x Putrid Imp
2x Stinkweed Imp
1x Glory
1x Reya, Dawnbringer
1x Akroma, Angel of Wrath
1x Adarkar Valkyrie
1x Firemane Angel
1x Blazing Archon
1x Angel of Despair
1x Iona, Shield of Emeria
1x Kokusho, Evening Star

Land:
4x Orzhov Basilica
10x Swamp
6x Plains

Artifacts:
2x Orzhov Signets

Spells:
3x Terror
2x Exhume
2x Reanimate
1x Dredge Return
1x Zombify
3x Vigor Mortis
3x Victimize
3x Dark Ritual
3x Buried Alive
3x Living Death

Well, what I see is that I have many creatures compared to others graveyard based decks...

And the reason why I made a black and white reanimator deck, instead of a black and blue, is cause i like these colors... And cause I like Glory... I think it´s a nice way to protect my creatures whenever I need...

But again, if you have any sugestion, feel free to say it..

And thanks again...
Posted 01 April 2011 at 01:34