Discussion Forum

Timing of sacking and bringing back in upkeep and end-step

I’m a bit puzzled as to how the stack works in for cards that just have “beginning of XX-step” or “during XX-step” as trigger.
Ok, my board set-up is: Shirei, Shizo's Caretaker, (2x)Apprentice Necromancer and Augur of Skulls. The graveyard contains a Ravenour Rats.

At upkeep can I:
A) sack the Augur for 2 discard then B) sack an Apprentice to bring back the Augur and C) sack the Augur again?

The end step is also a bit difficult.
1) I assume that if I do as above I will get both an Apprentice and the Augur back due to Shirei?
2) If I sack an Apprentice to get back the Rat (triggering discard) will it then be sacrificed in the beginning of the end step (due to the Apprentice ability) and brought back due to Shirei in the same end step (triggering again)?

Hope you guys can help :)

Anders
Posted 31 March 2011 at 12:44

The first situation you described with the Augur of Skulls and Apprentice Necromancer CAN be done to my knowledge. It's all taking place during your upkeep step and seems completely valid

The second situation involving the end of turn mix can also be done to my knowledge. They're both triggered at the beginning of the end step (Even though Apprentice doesn't go right out and say it). You can choose to sacrifice Ravenour Rats first, then have Shirei's effect trigger, selecting Ravenour Rats and returning it to play.

Like I say with all my rulings, I'm not a judge. I'm merely a player so I very well may be wrong.
Posted 31 March 2011 at 22:26

Thanks, sounds good.
Posted 03 April 2011 at 12:08

Just as an additional note, all that stuff works except the ravenous rats one. Let me explain. Ravenous Rats sacs at the beginning of the end step because of Necromancer's ability, right? So does Shirei's ability. Unfortunately, Shirei's ability also triggers at the beginning of the next end step. So, you wouldn't get the Ravenous Rats back immediately, as by the time Shirei triggers, the beginning of this end step has past. Instead, you'll get it at the next end step. Does that make sense?
Posted 12 April 2011 at 03:15