Discussion Forum

Attaching Equipment

I have a question about equipments. I am playing a deck with Sylvok Lifestaff in it. Ok, you got me, it's a Caw-Blade deck. :-)

Anyway, my question is around attaching the equipment to my opponants creature. First off, can I do that? Second, If I attach it to their creature then play a D.O.J. and it falls off, does it stay on their battlefield or does it come back to mine since I am the controller?

As always, thanks for the help!!!

Mike
Posted 08 April 2011 at 11:28

yes, you can attach an equipment you control to a creature you do not control, much like you can enchant enemy creatures with your own auras.

the equipment will remain under you control.

there's no distinction of battlefields between players(yours vs theirs)...the battlefield is a shared zone where every permanent exists.
Posted 08 April 2011 at 14:53

When paying the equip cost, you can only equip creatures you control.

702.6a Equip is an activated ability of Equipment cards. "Equip [cost]" means "[Cost]: Attach this permanent to target creature you control. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery."

The only way for your equipment to be on a creature another player controls is if they a) gain control of your creature while it is equipped, or b) you have some spell or ability that allows you to attach an equipment to any creature like Magnetic Theft.

EDIT: And in either case, you still retain control of the equipment.
Posted 08 April 2011 at 18:19

my mistake, to me "attaching" implies an ability other than the Equip ability itself, like magnetic theft.
Posted 08 April 2011 at 18:26