Discussion Forum

myr battlesphere

Can someone break it down for me....like if u were explaining it to a little kid. With myr galvanizer and other myrs/myr tokens. How does it work? I can attack with everything, then use galvanizer to untap and then tap those to add to his +x/+0 ability?
Posted 10 April 2011 at 23:09

Okay lets see. Myr Battlesphere's ability to tap any number of untapped myr you control is a TRIGGERED ability. It cannot be responded to with Myr Galvanizer's untap ability. If your field consists of say, 1 Myr Battlesphere, 4 Myr tokens, and 2 Myr Galvanizers then you DO NOT have an infinite damage combo. You declare Myr Battlesphere as attacking which triggers his ability. You can choose to tap any number of other Myr creatures you have but again, you cannot respond to the tapping of them with the untapping of them with the galvanizer.
Posted 11 April 2011 at 14:30

ok i asked my friend who is a TO here at my local shop and he broke it down for me like this:

i CAN NOT pump the sphere with the untap ability to add to his +x/+0 ability....but, what i CAN DO is attack with everything to pump his +x/+0 then galvanizer to untap all as it resolves and then tap all myr including battlesphere to pump the x damage to player..

so, from what he showed me with my cards was:

1x battlesphere, 4x myr tokens, 1x perilous myr, 1x palladium myr, 1x myr galvanizer.

I declare attacks, swing with everything EXCEPT Galvanizer, use galvanizers untap ability as the attacks resolve and then tap EVERY Myr including Battlesphere to deal the x damage ability that was triggered during the main attacks. He said it's just adding to the "stack" since it is a triggered ability.

Im not saying because he is a TO that he is correct but, we are all human and can make mistakes and this is def a very interesting and confusing card so, if you have a link to an official site that explains the Do's and Don'ts for it, I would be more than happy to look at it and change my strategy but as of now, if they are allowing me to do it at FNM and Standard Tourneys, im gonna keep doing it:)
Posted 11 April 2011 at 15:11

@Truegrave

At first it didn't make sense but with thought it does. All but the galvanizers declare attack. By doing this, Myr battlesphere's triggered ability goes on the stack. In response to the ability going on the stack you could untap them with the galvanizers, let the untapping resolve, then untap any number of untapped myrs to the Myr Battlesphere.

Wow, that's actually pretty broken...
Posted 11 April 2011 at 22:16

I'm pretty sure that when Battlespere's ability triggers, you have to tap your myr then and only then. You can't add it to the stack, then untap, then retroactively tap to change what has already been added to the stack. If you untap them before Battlesphere's ability triggers, that is a different story.
Posted 13 April 2011 at 15:44

The reason it wouldn't work, is quite simple. You only have one opportunity to tap the Myr to the Battlesphere. Sure you can untap them after, however the Myr Battlesphere's ability has had it's cost paid, and it has not triggered again. The stack actually breaks the Battlesphere's brokenness. Maybe this has been a bit of an insight.
Posted 23 April 2011 at 17:40

ok i have been playing this deck now for a while and have played at multiple tourns. with it and clarified it as this:

i can use the galvanizer combo before it resolves...i.e.:

lets say i have battlesphere, galvanizer, 4 myr tokens..i declare attacks; i swing with all except galvanizer...as soon as i declare my attackers, and before attacks resolve and before blockers are declared, i pay and tap galvanizer to untap all the others and tap them again to add to the triggered ability. so it has to be BEFORE attacks resolve.

I have cleared this up with multiple people, and a few judges and TO's.
Posted 23 April 2011 at 17:47

Battlesphere's power can only be used ''when Myr Battlesphere ATTAKCS''. That mean, when it's declared as an attacker. Then you can use Galvanizer's tap power but the attacking point as already resolved. So you don't respect the Battlesphere's power's condition ''when attacks'', so you cannot use it twice.

We'd need to read : while Myr Battlesphere is attacking

Judges and TO's may have been confused by looking at the card too quickly, because most of the cards in MTG act like ''while attacking''
Posted 25 April 2011 at 16:07

the battlesphere's second ability only happens once, during the time that it is declared as an attacker. so say if you have a galvanizer, 4 myrs and the sphere out, when you declare an attack, you tap the sphere. then you pay (tap) any number of myr's to pump it (say 4) then you respond by tapping the galvanizer. (thus untapping your myrs). so the stack may somehow looks like this:

last to resolve: sphere X pump
first to resolve: untap myrs

you cant trigger the sphere's second ability again because you've already declared your attacker. unless you have relentless assault, you cant pump the sphere unless you get your next attack phase.
Posted 27 April 2011 at 02:45

may be more clear in these words, thanks
Posted 27 April 2011 at 17:43

ok, but my original question was, i may have worded it wrong but, since the myrs untapping resolves before the battlesphere hits, why can't i swing with ALL myrs, untap with galvanizer and then tap All myrs to add it to the battlesphere?

Im not double pumping with this, im simply attacking with all myrs and using galvanizer to untap and then tap them all again for pumping the sphere once..

using what you are saying, that untapping the myrs resolve first, wouldn't that work?
Posted 25 May 2011 at 20:00

that would not work because you will already be in combat when time comes to use Galvanizer's ability. Myr Battlesphere's ability can only be activated at the ''attack point''.
Posted 27 May 2011 at 12:55

[QUOTE=citabogue]that would not work because you will already be in combat when time comes to use Galvanizer's ability. Myr Battlesphere's ability can only be activated at the ''attack point''.[/QUOTE]

i think im just going to stop playing myrs all together. there seems to be conflicting ideas on how it works....from here, from starcity forums, mtg salvation, some people say it doesn't work, and others say it does work. at fnm i've had the judge called on me and they said it works but honestly, this freaking card is giving me a headache! i think im just going to sell my set lol i wish there was an actual official ruling somewhere online that broke it down. :(
Posted 27 May 2011 at 13:18

Rulings
Hide Rulings
1/1/2011 You choose the value for X as the last ability resolves. You can't choose a value for X that's greater than the number of untapped Myr you control.
1/1/2011 You can tap any untapped Myr you control as the last ability resolves, not just the Myr tokens you put onto the battlefield with the first ability. This includes Myr that haven't been under your control since your most recent turn began.
1/1/2011 The defending player referred to by the last ability is the player attacked by Myr Battlesphere or the controller of the planeswalker attacked by Myr Battlesphere. For the purposes of this ability, that player remains the defending player even if Myr Battlesphere or that planeswalker is removed from combat before the ability resolves.
1/1/2011 As the last ability resolves, you can tap untapped Myr you control even if Myr Battlesphere is no longer on the battlefield by then. If that has happened, Myr Battlesphere won't be able to get the +X/+0 bonus, but it will still deal X damage to the defending player.

the very first secion says that you can't choose a number higher then the untapped myr you control. so that means you wouldn't be able to tap then untap the myr to feed to the battlesphere more then once. because even though the myr would be untapped later you would have to choose a number before that would resolve.

here's the link
Posted 27 May 2011 at 16:41

[QUOTE=LurkerDark]Rulings
Hide Rulings
1/1/2011 You choose the value for X as the last ability resolves. You can't choose a value for X that's greater than the number of untapped Myr you control.
1/1/2011 You can tap any untapped Myr you control as the last ability resolves, not just the Myr tokens you put onto the battlefield with the first ability. This includes Myr that haven't been under your control since your most recent turn began.
1/1/2011 The defending player referred to by the last ability is the player attacked by Myr Battlesphere or the controller of the planeswalker attacked by Myr Battlesphere. For the purposes of this ability, that player remains the defending player even if Myr Battlesphere or that planeswalker is removed from combat before the ability resolves.
1/1/2011 As the last ability resolves, you can tap untapped Myr you control even if Myr Battlesphere is no longer on the battlefield by then. If that has happened, Myr Battlesphere won't be able to get the +X/+0 bonus, but it will still deal X damage to the defending player.

the very first secion says that you can't choose a number higher then the untapped myr you control. so that means you wouldn't be able to tap then untap the myr to feed to the battlesphere more then once. because even though the myr would be untapped later you would have to choose a number before that would resolve.

here's the link[/QUOTE]

why does everyone keep thinking im double pumping the sphere? thats not what i am saying at all! he is only being pumped once....i swing with ALL myr, use galvanizer to untap ALL myr AND THEN tap for pump...im only pumping once!

this is why this card is a major headache to me.
Posted 27 May 2011 at 18:28

the last section says it. it won't pump the sphere, but it will still do the x damage....which is exactly what i have been doing and asking if it was legit!

lol thank god!
Posted 27 May 2011 at 18:29

[QUOTE=truegrave18]ok i asked my friend who is a TO here at my local shop and he broke it down for me like this:

i CAN NOT pump the sphere with the untap ability to add to his +x/+0 ability....but, what i CAN DO is attack with everything to pump his +x/+0 then galvanizer to untap all as it resolves and then tap all myr including battlesphere to pump the x damage to player..

so, from what he showed me with my cards was:

1x battlesphere, 4x myr tokens, 1x perilous myr, 1x palladium myr, 1x myr galvanizer.

I declare attacks, swing with everything EXCEPT Galvanizer, use galvanizers untap ability as the attacks resolve and then tap EVERY Myr including Battlesphere to deal the x damage ability that was triggered during the main attacks. He said it's just adding to the "stack" since it is a triggered ability.

Im not saying because he is a TO that he is correct but, we are all human and can make mistakes and this is def a very interesting and confusing card so, if you have a link to an official site that explains the Do's and Don'ts for it, I would be more than happy to look at it and change my strategy but as of now, if they are allowing me to do it at FNM and Standard Tourneys, im gonna keep doing it:)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=truegrave18;23612]ok i have been playing this deck now for a while and have played at multiple tourns. with it and clarified it as this:

i can use the galvanizer combo before it resolves...i.e.:

lets say i have battlesphere, galvanizer, 4 myr tokens..i declare attacks; i swing with all except galvanizer...as soon as i declare my attackers, and before attacks resolve and before blockers are declared, i pay and tap galvanizer to untap all the others and tap them again to add to the triggered ability. so it has to be BEFORE attacks resolve.

I have cleared this up with multiple people, and a few judges and TO's.[/QUOTE]

These are correct. What is happening is that you are untapping all myr in responce to the Battlesphere's triggered ability. Broken down: Declare all creatures except for Galvanizer attacking, Battlesphere triggers, in responce untap all myr, Galvanizer resolves and untaps your creatures with battlesphere's ability on the stack, tap all myr for battlesphere's ability. All creatures are then still declared attackers and also used for Battlesphere's ability. This would also work with that elf that untaps all attackers when it attacks. If you stack it right with the battlesphere he untaps everything and then you can tap them for battlesphere's ability. I hope this clears this up. You only get to use battlesphere's ability once, but you can use it and attack with your creatures at the same time.
Posted 28 May 2011 at 02:54

[QUOTE=pete_h]These are correct. What is happening is that you are untapping all myr in responce to the Battlesphere's triggered ability. Broken down: Declare all creatures except for Galvanizer attacking, Battlesphere triggers, in responce untap all myr, Galvanizer resolves and untaps your creatures with battlesphere's ability on the stack, tap all myr for battlesphere's ability. All creatures are then still declared attackers and also used for Battlesphere's ability. This would also work with that elf that untaps all attackers when it attacks. If you stack it right with the battlesphere he untaps everything and then you can tap them for battlesphere's ability. I hope this clears this up. You only get to use battlesphere's ability once, but you can use it and attack with your creatures at the same time.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Pete, this is what I have been trying to say once a Judge cleared it up for me. I guess I just haven't been wording it right. I knew i wasn't crazy lol i just wonder why, as many times as i wrote it out, everyone thought i was trying to double pump his ability?
Posted 31 May 2011 at 13:30

Sorry about that I got confused because you were saying that you can't pump the battlesphere with the untape ability but attacking with everything would pump up the battlesphere.

I understand now that your declairing everything as attackers minus the galvanizer, then when the battlesphere's ability triggers you are untapping everything with the gavlanizer to retap them and pump up the battlespheres +X/+0 and the X damage to the defending player.

very nice combo, I like it a lot.
Posted 31 May 2011 at 21:05

[QUOTE=LurkerDark]Sorry about that I got confused because you were saying that you can't pump the battlesphere with the untape ability but attacking with everything would pump up the battlesphere.

I understand now that your declairing everything as attackers minus the galvanizer, then when the battlesphere's ability triggers you are untapping everything with the gavlanizer to retap them and pump up the battlespheres +X/+0 and the X damage to the defending player.

very nice combo, I like it a lot.[/QUOTE]

no worries:) it honestly is a very confusing card when it comes to the legality of it. but on the plus side, i figured out a very devistating addition to the combo: try adding in a set of flight spellbombs:) nothing like throwing 30+ damage in the air. has been working wonders in mws

phew, im happy that all of this is settled though lol
Posted 31 May 2011 at 21:29