Discussion Forum

Stacking Doubling Season Question

pretty quick and simple one: if I stack Doubling Season enchantments, will the bonuses add up (2x, 4x, 6x, 8x) or would they be exponential? (2x,4x,8x,16x)

The Card: http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewCard.aspx?CardName=Doubling+Season&Edition=RAV

Curious as I'm planning on using Doubling Season in a token creature deck and want to know how potent the effect will be
Posted 15 April 2011 at 07:47

they stack exponentially (2x,4x,8x,16x)

which is why it's a 20$ card
Posted 15 April 2011 at 11:23

[QUOTE=Seras]they stack exponentially (2x,4x,8x,16x)

which is why it's a 20$ card[/QUOTE]

*ahem* HOT DAMN.

totally worth the $60 I'm likely about to drop on them.
Posted 15 April 2011 at 15:05

Mycoloth + Doubling season x 4 = retarded.

He has devour 2 so for if he devours 1 whole creature...it puts two counters, then the first doubles it to 4, then the second doubles that to 8, then the third doubles it to 16, then the last doubles it to 32....You then get 32 saprolings, which doubles to 64, which doubles again to 128, which doubles a third time to 256, which doubles the last time to 512 saprolings in ONE TURN. D:

Imagine playing a second Mycoloth devouring those 512 saprolings o.O
Posted 15 April 2011 at 19:05

alright, now go do the calculation for Rite of Replication, kicked, on a Precursor Golem. Then do it again with Doubling Season
Posted 15 April 2011 at 23:39

[QUOTE=NightLoki]alright, now go do the calculation for Rite of Replication, kicked, on a Precursor Golem. Then do it again with Doubling Season[/QUOTE]

Mkay, you cast the Rite of Replication which splits into 3 total spells as there's only 3 golems to branch to when initially cast. The first one (lets just say targeting the Precursor golem itself) makes 5 more Precursor golems which makes 10 tokens.

At this point you have 6 Precursors and 12 golem tokens.

The next rite of replication (the first copy, which wasn't cast as copied spells are not cast so it doesn't branch into more copies) hits one of the original golem tokens which makes 5 more tokens.

At this point you have 6 Precursor golems and 17 tokens.

The final rite of replication (the second copy) then targets the other golem token which makes 5 more tokens.

Your final result without doubling season is 6 Precursor Golems and 22 Golem tokens.

The one bit of ruling that I needed was located here. I wasn't sure if copied spells were technically cast which they AREN'T.

"When Reverberate resolves, it creates a copy of a spell. You control the copy. That copy is created on the stack, so it's not "cast." Abilities that trigger when a player casts a spell won't trigger. The copy will then resolve like a normal spell, after players get a chance to cast spells and activate abilities."

*Calculating with Doubling season in next post.*
Posted 16 April 2011 at 08:18

Okay, if you have a doubling season on the field and you cast a Precursor golem it instead puts 4 golem tokens into play. Whenever you initially cast Rite of replication, it branches into 5 total spells as there's 5 golems to branch to.

The first one (targetting the precursor golem) makes 10 more precursor golems, making 40 more tokens.

The first copy targets one of the four initial golem tokens, making 10 more tokens.

The second copy targets the second of the four initial tokens, making another 10 tokens.

The third copy targets the third of the four initial tokens, making another 10 tokens.

The fourth copy targets the last of the four initial tokens, making another 10 tokens.

Your final result is 11 Precursor Golems and 84 Golem tokens.

I then go *Fracturing Gust* and watch as you cry :v
Posted 16 April 2011 at 08:25