Discussion Forum

Anyone kind enough to help me?

Ok, my friend has five creatures on his field, and I have two creatures, which are ( Wren's Run Packmaster ), and a (wolf token ) which has a ( Sword of Body and Mind ) equipped to it, as well as a ( Lure ) that's enchanting it.

The wolf token has also been powered up due to ( Oran-Rief, the vastwood ) which I tapped four copys of, and then untapped two out of the four copys due to ( Garruk Wildspeaker's ) untap two lands ability, and then tapped the Oran-Rief, the Vastwood that where untapped once more. Thus bringing the wolf token to it's current power 10/10.

On turn two that my wolf token has been out, I soon play ( Overrun ) then swing with the wolf token... my friend then blocks with all his creatures because he has to, due to (Lure's ) affect, which then his creatures all die due to ( Wren's Run Packmaster's ) ability giving my wolf token deathtouch, and on top of that... he takes damage due to Overruns affect.

Now that he has taken damage... Sword of Body and Mind effect comes into play, and here is where my question comes in to be asked.

Since my friend had to block with all five creatures due to Lure, and each creature died one after the other due to deathtouch... all the while taking damage by the effect of Overrun. Does my friend have to discard 10 cards for each time he took damage while my token equipped with S.O.B.A.M killed each new creature?
Posted 17 April 2011 at 22:53

dude... you talking about 20 cards on the table, its pretty complicated w/o the links or copy of the card on your post
Posted 18 April 2011 at 00:16

@ The guy above me. It's not to hard to understand.

You're only dealing combat damage to the player ONCE in that scenario. It doesn't matter if it's blocked by 1 creature or 12 creatures (can't be more than 12 cause then no damage would trample over) it's still dealing one instance of combat damage.

He only mills 10 cards and you get one 2/2 wolf.
Posted 18 April 2011 at 03:20

[QUOTE=Scotty1700]@ The guy above me. It's not to hard to understand.

You're only dealing combat damage to the player ONCE in that scenario. It doesn't matter if it's blocked by 1 creature or 12 creatures (can't be more than 12 cause then no damage would trample over) it's still dealing one instance of combat damage.

He only mills 10 cards and you get one 2/2 wolf.[/QUOTE]

Hmmmmn... I hate to drop another question on you, but something I read left me with another question. Let's say I took away the lure, and gave my wolf token double strike... with what ever card, and then played Overrun, then attacked with the wolf token with the sword of body and mind, what then?

I figured so as long as a new target was killed, and damage done with each new target... the effect of the sword would retain to each new target once the damage had been done to my friends life points due to Overrun.

I only ask this because I read that double strike + trample + SoBaM= -20 cards +2 wolf token's Which lead me to question if Lure with all of thies factions in play would do the same thing.
Posted 18 April 2011 at 15:40

If both combat phases inherent in double-strike deal damage to the opponent, then yes, the trigger for SOBAM occurs twice. If the first-strike combat phase kills off blockers, and only the normal phase deals damage, then you just get one trigger and thus one wolf and 10 cards.
Posted 18 April 2011 at 16:50

Yup, I was actually destroying my friends with my Knight-blade deck yesterday. 2 SoFF + 1 SoBM on a Mirran Crusader = lol uded.

They discard 4, I untap all my lands (technically 4 times but it doesn't matter really), they mill 20, and I get two 2/2 woofs :D Oh and it's a mini progenitus with Pro-green/black/blue haha.
Posted 18 April 2011 at 17:17