Discussion Forum

Responding to triggered abilities and such.

Okay here's my question that I was thinking of last night. Say I have a Cunning Sparkmage equipped with a basilisk collar. If my opponent were to cast a grave titan, then wait for it to enter the battlefield (thus triggering his ability to put two 2/2 zombies into play) couldn't I respond to the triggered ability going onto the stack by pinging it with my sparkmage w/ deathtouch. That 1 damage would resolve and kill the grave titan, but with the source of the triggered ability going to the graveyard, would it null that whole ability??

I'm sort of thinking there's a chance that's how it works but in the back of my head I'm thinking "The triggered ability's prerequisites have been met so it doesn't matter."

What exactly happens lol...
Posted 24 April 2011 at 19:09

The 2/2's come in cause it triggers for the summoning. Th summoning was still successful. You could only prevent by countering.
Posted 25 April 2011 at 01:23

Or by preventing it from hitting the field. It's an "Enter the battlefield" effect so.....

Sidenote: I can't think of anything that doesn't counter the spell but prevents it from entering the battlefield as even with lethal vapors it still enters lol.
Posted 25 April 2011 at 01:46

The only way to prevent it from entering the battlefield is countering. ''Destroying'' effects cannot target a spell as it still on the stack.

Stack ---> counter
On the battlefield --->destroy

So no you cannot counter anything with a ''destroy'' ability such as deathtouch
Posted 25 April 2011 at 16:13