Discussion Forum

EDH Assistance

Hey there. So, I'm a fairly new MTG player in general and was introduced to EDH yesterday. I think it sounds really awesome, and wanted to try my hand at constructing a deck. Little did I realize how difficult it would be to throw 100 cards together. The deck I ended up creating is Green/Black with more of an emphasis on Green it seems. My commander is Sisters of Stone Death and the deck can be found here: http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=176542

There is a shop near my apartment that has weekly EDH gatherings and what I'd really like is for this deck to compete on a friendly and fun level--I am not really looking to play competitively or aggressively (by that I mean solely focused on winning at all costs and being a dick to those I'm playing with). I own a mere fraction of the cards in this deck and would really like to wind up with a deck that I could purchase without paying a fortune, so please keep that in mind for feedback suggestions. If there are already expensive cards in there that is because I overlooked the cost of said card(s) when constructing the deck.

Really, I'm just curious to hear what people have to say about this deck and if I seem to be on the right path for constructing an EDH deck. Thanks in advance for any/all feedback.
Posted 24 April 2011 at 21:51

not bad but I would make place for

damnation
decree of pain
consuming vapours
demonic tutor
oblivion stone
greater good
Momentous Fall
profane command
beacon of unrest

and if you don't mind spending av wee bit, nothing beats Primeval titan fetching cabal coffers and Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

and be sure to put in Beast Within once new phyrexia is released.
Posted 25 April 2011 at 18:59

ps: your general sucks, at least consider Nath of the Gilt-Leaf or Glissa, the Traitor
Posted 25 April 2011 at 19:02

Oof with regards to general comment. I like Sisters, but, as I said am new to the format, so was unsure how it would factor in a match. Nath does seem like a cool general to play... Glissa not as much; would I not want a more artifact heavy deck for Glissa to utilize that ability?

The other suggestions are great, and much thanks for them. Primeval Titan is WAY out of what I feel comfortable spending--as are some of my other cards which I guess will affect how this deck actually turns out when I make it tangible--but I do greatly appreciate all of the feedback. Are there cards in particular you see that I should be dropping in place for the ones you've suggested?
Posted 25 April 2011 at 20:57

sisters is not that bad but its to much mana for what you get. glissa is first strike deathtouch, forget about artifacts thats just another bonus. oblivion stone is for me a must in every deck and that alone makes glissa good. other good artifacts are solemn simulacrum and duplicant, I usually include sword of fire and ice and sword of light and shadow as well so thats actaully a lot of artifacts there already.

I think in black green I like Nath best, they just need to shoot him down or he goes crazy. random discard every turn against control decks is devestating. and EDH usually sees a lot of control.

as for dropping cards, usually if its not over the top sick and broken you can drop it for a better card unless it's carddraw (harmonize and such) or land a acceleration. neither are sick on their own but they allow you to gain an advantage you need to win.

good luck, it's a great format
Posted 26 April 2011 at 16:11

I took a look at cards I would drop

Whispersilk Cloak
Protean Hydra
Massacre Wurm
Gift of the Deity
Shape of the Wiitigo

Cankerous Thirst: it's not that effective in this format

Bountiful Harvest: very bad card (use loxodon warhammer if you want to gain life)

Empty the Catacombs: there's enough good cards to return creatures even multiple creatures from your graveyard to your hand without doing the same for your opponents.

Repay in Kind
Tromp the Domains
Feast of Worms
Posted 26 April 2011 at 18:08

Wow! Thank you for everything. I'm gonna tinker with what you've suggested after work and hopefully I'll come up with something better.
Posted 26 April 2011 at 18:25

I agree with switching out Sisters for Glissa. There's really only three artifacts you need for her second ability to be more than just wasted text: Seth already mentioned one, the others are Executioner's Capsule and Ratchet Bomb. Any other utility artifacts you might use will have the added bonus of potential recursion. But even without them, first strike and death touch for 3 is just too good.

Also, Massacre Wurm is a bomb. Why would you drop that from the list?
Posted 03 May 2011 at 00:41

Apparently your EDH meta differs strongly from mine. Where I play Ratchet Bomb is way to slow to be usefull. Lets say a Simic Sky Swallower is beating you to a pulp, Ratchet Bomb will kill it 7 turns from now, ouch.

Massacre Wurm is 6 mana for a 6/5 with weak abilities, a one time -2/-2 kills only utility creatures (and the exceptions are few) and the additional 2 damage from dying creatures isn't all that either. The only case Massacre Wurm is a bomb is against token decks, there it can be game over for the token player. Playing it just for that reason in a 3 color deck strongly depends on your local meta.
Posted 03 May 2011 at 07:29

[QUOTE=Seth]Apparently your EDH meta differs strongly from mine. Where I play Ratchet Bomb is way to slow to be usefull. Lets say a Simic Sky Swallower is beating you to a pulp, Ratchet Bomb will kill it 7 turns from now, ouch.

Massacre Wurm is 6 mana for a 6/5 with weak abilities, a one time -2/-2 kills only utility creatures (and the exceptions are few) and the additional 2 damage from dying creatures isn't all that either. The only case Massacre Wurm is a bomb is against token decks, there it can be game over for the token player. Playing it just for that reason in a 3 color deck strongly depends on your local meta.[/QUOTE]

Well, there is a lot of token generation in my meta. There's only one straight token engine and that's with Darien (and that same player wants to make a Rhys deck too), but a lot of instant speed and creature ability token generation is popular too. So Ratchet Bomb is a cheap, reusable way to eliminate those tokens. It's worth a spot in my deck to manage tokens, might be a wasted card if you don't see a lot of 0 cost permanents though.

Likewise, Massacre Wurm is good for baiting blockers and finishing them off in the post combat main phase, since most of the time a surviving blocker's toughness is only 1 or 2 more than the attacker's power. That's not an exact science, just an observation but it does seem to hold true. Similarly, Massacre Wurm can be used in the pre-combat main phase to discourage blocking. In any case, I've found the selective -2/-2 to be helpful. That's not to say there's not a better card to use in its place, but I have a Massacre Wurm so I use it :P
Posted 05 May 2011 at 02:18

yeah that makes sense. I'm more of a blow everything up kind of guy though, I usually don't care about killing my own creatures so I'm more inclined to play the likes of Kagemaro, First to Suffer and Bane of the Living as creatures and I'm a big fan of Oblivion Stone to just sweep it all.

Good token decks are a pain though, especially with the likes of glare of subdual and opposition. I find dealing with White Sun's Zenith and Decree of Justice difficult as you don't see them comming. You often need an instant speed solution just to survive. Tapping them out with Cryptic Command and Naya Charm helps, and all stuff that can be activated to blow everything up instant speed (Pernicious deed, Oblivion Stone, Kagemaro, Bane of the Living, etc...) is the way to go.
Posted 05 May 2011 at 07:20