Discussion Forum

Unbeatable?

http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/nph/yljcck36r9_en.jpg

http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/nph/jif1lwqi4e_en.jpg

Would these two not prevent you from dying (via damage sources)?
this would leave... special win conditions that are rarely ever used. and this is a turn 3 combo, which can be protected pretty easily with greens mana ramp and cards like privileged position.
Posted 26 April 2011 at 03:28

Only protects you from creatures, with phyrexian unlife if your life is less than 0, someone can bolt you for three poison counters as the elf only makes creatures lose infect.
Posted 26 April 2011 at 05:43

The elf also have : ''you can't get poison counters''

But well, it looks like a great combo but as soon as your creature is destroyed or your enchant dispelled you die.

And even with privileged position, pestilence or provoque will get you

I'm not saying it is not a good combo, simply it's not unbeatable
Posted 26 April 2011 at 16:26

Oh dang, I wasn't thinking lol. It's still pretty potent of a combo, you could certainly get it out turn 3.
Posted 27 April 2011 at 01:14

Alright thanks guys! I think it would make for an interesting deck to say the least
Posted 27 April 2011 at 01:43

I also want to point out to you that Phyrexian Unlife only treats damage done to you, the player, as though it's source had infect. Damage done to your creatures is still normal damage. So, All that would need to happen is a bolt, or random combat damage to the legendary elf, and it would die.

Phyrexian Unlife does not give your opponents creatures infect. Damage your opponents creatures do to Planeswalkers, and creatures, is still just normal damage. Planeswalkers will lose loyalty counters, and creatures will take regular damage.

Like everyone else has said, it's not a bad combo, but it is a little easier to break open than it looks. Perhaps you could combine this with some totem armors? or Shroud in the way of Asceticism?
Posted 27 April 2011 at 16:43

Exactly, not unbeatable, but if you hit 2 damage on the player on turn 3, you win... IF...

Maybe flyings would make it easier
Posted 27 April 2011 at 17:40