Discussion Forum

Redirect Enchantment and Activated Abilities

Say an enchantment was enchanting a creature, who was then dealt lethal damage and sent to the graveyard:
Would it be possible to use Redirect to choose a new target for the enchantment before the state based action of it not having a target applies? My understanding of state based actions says no, both the creature killing and the enchantment being sent to the graveyard would happen before anyone got priority, but I'd like to be sure.
Alternatively, while damage for said creature is on the stack, I assume it's perfectly acceptable to change the enchantment target with Redirect at that time as a response, saving the enchantment and attatching it to another creature before the creature is actually sent to the graveyard? (You'll have to excuse me, my brain has recently turned to mush reading up on technicalities so much that I'm starting to second guess things that used to be common sense) Hell I'm even starting to second guess whether enchantments count as "Spells" "Targeting" in the first place at this point, and whether the whole idea was illegal in the first place...

Second, I just read this article on "Last Known Information" which, to be honest, mostly confused the hell out of me (http://www.starcitygames.com/php/news/article/9252.html). I understood some things, but it seemed like much of what this judge was discussing was left "in between the lines" as it were, and it was sometimes hard to follow exactly what did and didn't equate to a result. I was especially interested in the case he discussed involving the destruction of a Genju of the Cedars after attempting to activate it's ability to turn the enchanted land into a 4/4 creature that's still a land. From what it sounded like, even though the enchantment was sent to the graveyard before the ability on the stack, it still resolved? I'm slightly confused as to how or why this would apply as it seems to go against my usual understanding of the stack's mechanics, if anyone could elaborate on the workings to clear it up for me it'd be greatly appreciated.
Posted 30 April 2011 at 07:37

Redirect can only be used to change the target of a spell targetting something as this spell is on the stack. So, you cannot reattach an enchantment that is already on the battlefield.

When a spell or an ability enters the stack it can only be countered, it cannot be destroyed. ''Destroying'' effects can only be used against permanant on the battlefield.

Destroy ----> battlefield
counter or redirect --->stack
Posted 01 May 2011 at 03:58

Ok thanks. And someone already cleared up the Last Known Info/Genju question so this is all wrapped up.
Posted 01 May 2011 at 09:01

What about with Spellskite.

What if someone cast Go for the Throat and I used Spellskite's ability to redirect it to him? Would this be a legal move and make the spell fizzle?
Posted 05 May 2011 at 04:10

[QUOTE=NinjaGamer]What about with Spellskite.

What if someone cast Go for the Throat and I used Spellskite's ability to redirect it to him? Would this be a legal move and make the spell fizzle?[/QUOTE]

Based on what the Gatherer said about Redirect, it seems a spell cannot be re-targeted to an invalid target. Spellskite would be an invalid target for Go for the Throat as it cannot target artifacts therefore it cannot be re-targeted.
Posted 05 May 2011 at 05:04

Thanks. I figured as much, but it's good to make sure beforehand.
Posted 05 May 2011 at 22:04