Discussion Forum

Can I tap?

If I cause my opponent's Tideshaper Mystic to tap...can I decide on a land type, or does he?
Posted 05 May 2011 at 18:17

neither the tap ability is something a player can use if they are able. If you tap a creature its just tapped no abilities trigger unless stated
Posted 05 May 2011 at 18:38

You tap a creature to activate their ability, rather than an ability activating because it was tapped. It sounds confusing but if I were to tap your llanowar elf, it doesn't add :manag:to your mana pool. You COULD tap it to add :manag: to your mana pool in response to me targeting it to be tapped though.
Posted 06 May 2011 at 06:10

ok....now what about Moment of Silence...if my opponent declares his/her attackers, and I play Moment of Silence, do his/her attackers remain tapped, or because I've made them skip their combat phase, they would be UNtapped (never got the chance to attack)?:confused:
Posted 12 May 2011 at 14:24

You have to play Moment of Silence prior to the beginning of their combat phase. Because most people skip the declaration of ending / beginning phases and steps, if your opponent simply taps his creatures and attacks, you can retroactively cast Moment of Silence since the opponent skipped passing priority to you at the end of his or her pre-combat main phase. If you do, his creatures likewise retroactively untap.

Here's the card ruling taken from MagicCards.info (http://magiccards.info/query?q=!Moment+of+Silence)
10/4/2004: The player skips their next combat phase this turn (if any). If they manage to have two combat phases, then only their next one combat phase is skipped.
10/4/2004: It must be used before the combat phase starts or it has no effect.
10/4/2004: If cast on a player when it is not their turn, it has no effect.
Posted 12 May 2011 at 17:02